walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Trans-Knoydart trek, part 2

Trans-Knoydart trek, part 2

Postby al78 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:53 pm

Date walked: 10/06/2021

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 24 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I left the ferry at Inverie around 3pm and popped into The Old Forge for a glass of orange juice and to use the toilet. The plan was to walk to Kinloch Hourn over two half days with an overnight camp at Barrisdale or on the Mam Barrisdale. I was surprised by the number of cars at Inverie given it isn't connected to the national road network. Simply a case of following a landrover track along the glen again following a river. Came across a few walkers coming the other way (a lot of people around for a claimed wilderness), despite the warning of boggy bits on the path, the ground was largely dry underfoot and any squidgy bits were very localised and easily avoided. A got up to the top of the pass slowly and steadily and the view down towards glen Barrisdale was fantastic. Beinn Bhuidhe looked much higher than its 569m. I did contemplate camping here but as it was still quite early I decided to carry on to Barrisdale. Gradually made my way down towards Barrisdale admiring the view ahead of the hills, glen and the bay and soon reached Barrisdale bothy and campsite. The sleeping part of the bothy was closed but the kitchen and toilet was open, and I made use of the campsite. This was when my stove decided to malfunction. I couldn't get the gas to flow properly, and it stopped flowing completely. I eventually messed about with a long object trying to free the little plunger in case it had got stuck, and that did the job, so I was able to have an evening meal. Took four hours to get here which is about the time I seen quoted elsewhere.

Next morning I packed up and headed for Kinloch Hourn where I would be staying for two nights. The weather again was dry and sunny and it was a beautiful walk along the bay and the loch Hourn coastal path. The lumps at the Kinloch Hourn end made me perspire a bit but nothing really major. I met up with another man doing the Cape Wrath trail, who after conversing with him turned out to be a very strong walker. He was doing a TGO challenge after finishing his trek. He stopped at the place I was staying at for refreshments, kept saying early afternoon he really should get going, then stayed there until nearly 9pm. Doesn't matter in June when it doesn't get properly dark until pushing 11 pm. Took about four hours.
Attachments
Barrisdale from Mam Barrisdale pass.jpg
Barrisdale from Mam Barrisdale
barrisdalebaypanorama.jpg
Barrisdale bay panorama
glen Barrisdale from Mam Barrisdale.jpg
glen Barrisdale from Mam Barrisdale
IMG_20210602_102255.jpg
IMG_20210602_122541.jpg
IMG_20210602_125134.jpg

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland