walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Trans-Knoydart trek, part 3

Trans-Knoydart trek, part 3

Postby al78 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:08 pm

Date walked: 10/06/2021

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 500m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Thursday was originally intended to be a rest day but I was on an easier schedule than originally planned, so I decided to climb partway up Buidhe Bheinn. I was aware the next day I would be walking just over 13 miles and a 700m bealach so I didn't want to push myself. I was after the fine view along the loch that hill provides. It is much easier walking uphill with just a day pack, so managed to get up the steep forest track without issue, although care is required as there is a lot of loose stuff in places on the path which can easily cause a slip. Once out of the forest and onto the track which eventually leads to Arnisdale, the views open out and I soon picked up the stalkers path up Buidhe Bheinn. I first went up and to the east because I missed the branch which goes north and straight up, but I was glad in the end because at about 450m altitude I got the really nice view right down loch Hourn towards Ladhar Bheinn. I backtracked and had a look along the other branch before turning around and heading back to the B&B back along the steep forest track.
Attachments
IMG_20210603_120945.jpg
Loch Hourn.
IMG_20210603_115227.jpg
Looking west from track summit across to Beinn Sgritheall.
IMG_20210603_113624.jpg
kinlochhournpanorama.jpg
Kinloch Hourn froms slopes of Buidhe Bheinn.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Re: Trans-Knoydart trek, part 3

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:18 am

Good to read your reports and a good plan B you came up with. The train and then boat from Mallaig is a fine way to get to Knoydart.

Is part 4 still to come?

All the best. :D
Sunset tripper

Re: Trans-Knoydart trek, part 3

Postby al78 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:58 pm

Yes, will put the final leg of my trip up sometime over the weekend.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland