walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Crungie Dubh & Crungie Clach

Crungie Dubh & Crungie Clach

Postby rob munbett » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:32 am

Date walked: 10/06/2021

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 7.8 km

Ascent: 396m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was sitting one evening perusing some maps, thinking about future outings - we all do it I'm sure - when, on OS 43, I came across Crungie Dubh and Crungie Clach. Wonderfully weird names, I thought. I determined next time I was in that area I would ignore the usual higher hills and have a walk up these two.
So, having been up Turkey Hill last week (I must be developing a 'thing' for strangely named hills), I was in the Pitlochry area so I drove along the A924 to park in a good-sized gravel pull-in on the south side of the road between Dalnavaid and Clunskea. I walked back along the road a short distance and headed up to Stronhavie and found the start of the track heading west below Stronhavie Crag before turning north up a shallow corrie before reaching more open moorland. Crungie Dubh came into view, looking like quite a craggy wee hill.
IMG_20210610_111047.jpg
Crungie Dubh coming into view
As I approached, I could see some grassy rakes on the east side of the hill which looked as if they would afford me a nice straightforward ascent. And so it proved. I reached the unmarked summit in good time. Just as the day before, the weather was not being kind to me and a strong wind was blowing and there was low cloud and drizzle - not exactly 'flaming June'. There was a large well-build cairn off to the east of the summit but it did not seem to have any significance. I looked north to Crungie Clach which looked a fair distance away across the moorland.
IMG_20210610_114158.jpg
On Crungie Dubh looking over the moorland to Crungie Clach
Actually, it was only about a k and a half as the crow flies but as we know hillwalkers are not crows and there were lots of undulations and detours to take to avoid bogs and peat hags on the walk over. Not exactly a gentle stroll but not too bad. A short sharp ascent brought me to the top of Crungie Clach.
IMG_20210610_122231.jpg
On the summit of Crungie Clach looking over to Ben Vuirich
By now, though, the weather was deteriorating and the cloud was getting lower and drizzle turning to rain. I decided to change my plans to walk over to Gurlet and instead descend Crungie Clach to the east to pick up the OS marked track beside the Clunskea Burn.
IMG_20210610_121322.jpg
descending Crungie Clach, heading towards the Clunskea Burn track
P1040667 (2).JPG
Looking back on the descent of Crungie Clach
This worked out well and I enjoyed the stroll down the glen on this good track all the way to Clunskea back on the main road, only a short distance from my car. A short drive back to Pitlochry and I was having lunch with my wife. Did i enjoy my morning on these strangely named Tumps? Indeed I did.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland