walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Càrn Loch nan Amhaichean - easier to walk than say

Càrn Loch nan Amhaichean - easier to walk than say

Postby gld73 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:55 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Càrn Loch nan Amhaichean

Date walked: 06/06/2021

Time taken: 4.25 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 565m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A sunny Sunday and I left the house late morning ...no chance of parking in any of the popular munro car parks (confirmed as I passed Ben Wyvis), but I had a feeling not many people would have this graham on their radar and right enough, no cars anywhere near the start. I parked just west of Inchbae Lodge, not at the entrance to the track which the route takes, but the area immediately over the bridge from it, room for 3 or 4 cars if parked suitably.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

APDC8425.JPG
Easy walking on the track down Strathrannoch

Headed up Strath Rannoch on the track, a fairly long, but easy, walk in. Checked the map; the hills seen in front don't include the one I'm heading for, it comes into sight on the right a few km on. Thought about heading straight up the slope when I saw a wide break in the forestry, but decided to continue on to near the farmhouse, over the bridge and take the track up to the right alongside the burn / river. Rather than cross further up I just took the easy route and crossed early on at the wee hydro bridge. Changed from trainers into hiking boots and just headed up the hill. A slight path for a few metres soon disappeared, but lovely clear day so I just headed for the summit, no problems with route finding today. Bog not bad after recent dry days, but it'd be a wet route after rain. Headed diagonally up the side of the hill on nice heathery-grassy terrain, arrived at the stonier summit to find 2 cairns close to each other; a tall one, and a smaller one which looked like it might be the actual high point. Nice viewpoint on a clear day like this.
APDC8427.JPG
Decided to cross back over the burn on this small hydro bridge

APDC8428.JPG
Looking back south west to Strathrannoch farmhouse where I started heading uphill

APDC8430.JPG
2 cairns at the summit

APDC8429.JPG
The big mass of Ben Wyvis lies south east

APDC8431.JPG
Carn Chuinneag to the north

For the return, I headed south west down the wide ridge towards the gap between the two plantations. Again, the lower slopes would have been a boggy mess in wet weather, but all avoidable today. Deer fence around the woods, but with a gate at the gap I got to, so over that, across the small burn and down back through the field to the track, aiming roughly for the old barn which turned out to be a good move as there was a gate in the fence at that point. Trainers back on for the walk back along the track to the car.
APDC8434.JPG
Heading down, a small gorge runs across the centre of the picture from the left, I was aiming for where it meets the gap in the small bits of forestry towards the right

APDC8436.JPG
Looking back at Carn Loch nan Amhaichean and the gate I just climbed over on my way back to the track

Enjoyed this more than I expected, and it'd be a good one for winter, being able to park right next to the A835 and with boggy ground frozen.
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland