walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Phoineas Hill - woods, hill forts and tree houses!

Phoineas Hill - woods, hill forts and tree houses!

Postby Jaxter » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:12 pm

Route description: Phoineas Hill, near Beauly

Date walked: 04/04/2021

Time taken: 1.25 hours

Distance: 4.91 km

Ascent: 124m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was feeling completely whacked after our 2 days in Torridon and could barely get out of bed until early afternoon. After some food Malky persuaded me out and he suggested a short walk near Kiltarlity on some nice easy forest tracks. It seemed like a good idea and being only a short drive away it wouldn't matter too much if we had to shorten the route.

We parked up in a large gateway and headed up the track - although the gradient was not steep, I was finding it very hard work

Malky trying to find signal on his watch :lol:

A walk through forestry had seemed a good idea for a day where the wind speed was a bit insane, and it was, until we popped out of the trees and I couldn't breathe :lol: But when we turned around, the views towards Beinn a' Bha'ach Ard and Strathfarrar were lovely 8)

We slowly followed the tracks through the forest - there was nothing overly exciting but it was so nice to be doing a really short walk in a different place (I've walked around the Ness islands A LOT recently!)

There was a short out and back to the hill fort on the top of Phoineas Hill so we followed the track more steeply uphill - this was even harder work for me and Malky helped by pushing me uphill in an effort to try and help :lol:

Looking towards Cabrich

Finally at the top we were surprised to see a big radio mast, but a wee path around the side took us to the hill fort which was a pile of rocks with some almost views!

Radio mast (or phone mast?)

If I'd had more energy we could have continued along the ridge towards the trig point and some of the other lumps and bumps with more views, but for today this was a far as I was getting.

We had a bit of a breather and some water which gave me a bit of a break, and by the time we headed down I seemed to be feeling marginally better (or maybe it was just because we were going downhill now :lol: )

We saw a big tree house - we had seen one earlier but it was harder to get to! Not sure if they are bird hides or something else

We decided to have a look... the views were good!

It felt a wee bit unstable in the wind! We continued along the track, again largely downhill, before taking a slightly less obvious path which would cut back across to where we had started. There were a couple more of the tree houses along here

The next section was a little trickier as we had to use a fallen tree to cross a burn (actually easier than it looked, but could definitely be slippery when wet)

Some wooden planks led us safely through some slightly boggy ground before climbing out onto the track we had started out on

Back at the car it was an easy drive back home where I returned to the sofa for the rest of the day. Malky had been right - it was goo to get out, but I was shattered, again :roll:
Attachments

activity_6554415974.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Phoineas Hill - woods, hill forts and tree houses!

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:43 pm

You should have popped in for tea :wink:

I used to cycle from Beauly to this hill to jog in the forest but gave up after most of the trees were cut down. It looks so sad now.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland