walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Heasgarnich & Creag Mhór

Beinn Heasgarnich & Creag Mhór

Postby joreidy » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:28 pm

Route description: Creag Mhòr and Beinn Heasgarnich

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Heasgarnich, Creag Mhòr (Glen Lochay)

Date walked: 14/06/2021

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 26.5 km

Ascent: 1342m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had been putting off doing these two for some time now (which seems like a common theme for the walk reports on this pair of munros :lol:). However, I had a few days annual leave to play with and the weather was not looking particularly promising, therefore I decided to bag a few of the more reputedly mundane munros.

activity_6958636080.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Having eyed up these two munros from neighbouring Meall Glas a week previous, I decided on a bike/hike combination to save time (and my legs!). I rocked up at the car park at 11am and set off on the bike into a stiff breeze. After around 10 minutes I reached the cross roads before the pipe line and dumped the bike behind a rock. I then made my way up the meandering hydro track to the north and took a left across the pipeline. The track towering above Glen Lochay makes for good fast walking.
IMG_20210614_112807-01.jpeg
Looking across to Lubchurran cottage

I made my way through a number of gates along the track which look to be part of the regeneration of the ancient Forest of Mamlorn.
IMG_20210614_113057-01.jpeg
High track above Glen Lochay

Before Allt Bad Odhar, I came across what looks like a stalkers' hut I'm guessing?
IMG_20210614_115311-01.jpeg
Stalker's hut

After passing over the Allt, I turned right before the next gate and followed the deer fence up the grassy (but relatively dry) slope. I followed the deer fence until it diverted off to the west at which point, I made a bee line to the left of a small waterfall at Creag Bhuidhe.
IMG_20210614_120112-01.jpeg
Deer fence

Once over the brow of Creag Bhuidhe, I could now clearly see the bulk of the summit of Beinn Heasgarnich looming in the distance. There was no clear way up from here so I just made my way directly for the bealach between Stob an Fhir-Bhoga and Beinn Heasgarnich. After reaching the bealach, I swung a right and carried on to the summit of the first munro of the day.

Unfortunately at this point the cloud had set in and visibility was down to about 100m or so.
IMG_20210614_131830-01.jpeg
The summit of Beinn Heasgarnich in sight

It took 2.5 hours to reach the summit cairn. The rain had now set in for the rest of the afternoon so I didn't dwell on the top and made my way hastily towards Srón Tairbh ("the bull's nose").
IMG_20210614_132346-01.jpeg
The uninspiring summit cairn of Beinn Heasgarnich

I found shelter behind a crag halfway down Srón Tairbh for a quick lunch and made my way down to the boggy quagmire between the two munros. It was at this point that Loch Lyon introduced itself during a rare break in the clouds.
IMG_20210614_135947-01.jpeg
Loch Lyon

After meandering through the peat hags at a lowly 600m, it was now time for the long slog back up to Creag Mhór at 1047m. The going up this section was surprisingly steady and I made it to the summit cairn 1.5 hours after the 1st summit.
IMG_20210614_150434-01.jpeg
Creag Mhór summit cairn

With a strong wind on my back, I made good time trailing down towards Srón nan Eun ("the nose of the birds") before carefully negotiating the various crags at 600m.
IMG_20210614_150514-01.jpeg
The giant bulk of Beinn Heasgarnich

The deer fence was a welcome sight as it meant that the high track was to shortly follow.
IMG_20210614_154550-01.jpeg
The welcome sight of the Glen floor

I took the winding track down to the floor of the Glen and followed the river back to my start point. The walk took me 6 hr 15 minutes and the bike legs brought this up to a total of 6 hr 30 minutes. Having the bike for the last km brought a welcome reprieve!
All in all, this was a tough outing, particularly given the drop between the two munros and the large path less sections which made navigation difficult in the poor visibility. Another 2 down, just 112 to go 8)
Last edited by joreidy on Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
joreidy
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:44
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:8

Re: Beinn Heasgarnich & Creag Mhór

Postby joreidy » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:30 pm

joreidy
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:44
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:8

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland