walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wee Whangie Wander

Wee Whangie Wander

Postby WeeHills » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:03 am

Route description: The Whangie, Kilpatrick Hills

Date walked: 16/06/2021

Time taken: 1.5 hours

Distance: 4.5 km

Ascent: 180m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As my planned Sunday stroll had been scuppered by a dead car battery I was determined not to let Wednesday pass without at least a wee walk, but it could only be wee as I'd foolishly agreed to help my daughter out with her garden. Fortunately as it turned out my son also had the Wednesday off this week so many hands made for quick work. Garden sorted by midday I was free to wander and as the Whangie lies less than ten miles from my girl's house it seemed an obvious choice. I don't know how many times I've driven past this spot and thought 'one day I must investigate' but I had never previously got round to it, always somewhere more important to be, so it's long since past time for a nosy.

By twenty past twelve I'm parked up at Queen's View and pulling on my boots. The initial section of board walk seems rather shiny and I imagine could be pretty slippery in the rain but today is dry if overcast. Then it is a nice, straightforward, muddy in places, path to my destination. The views are pleasing towards Loch Lomond, though the higher hills are shrouded in cloud, and it seems no time at all before I'm entering this strange formation.

whangie2.jpg
Welcome to The Whangie

I take my time and amble slowly through the narrow passage stopping to peer through gaps towards Loch Lomond and Burncrooks Reservoir. It is a delightful place and shafts of sunshine light up the narrowest section as I pass through.

whangie6.jpg
Wandering through

whangie4.jpg
Loch Lomond from inside The Whangie

whangie3.jpg
Towards Burncrooks Reservoir

whangie7.jpg
Sunshine lights up the narrow passage

After passing through I spend some time exploring outside, wending my way along the paths and between the rocks. It would be very easy to while away a good few hours clambering about here. I can see why it is popular with climbers, though climbing is most definitely not my thing. After a while I find a pleasant perch and stop for a cuppa.

whangie9.jpg
On the outside

whangie10.jpg
Coffee stop

After coffee I decide to wander through from the opposite direction, always good to get a slightly different perspective. It is a very fine place to while away an afternoon when time is short. Be a nice easy wander with weans too, no wonder it is so heavily frequented. A wee bit more contemplating the feature and it's time to head back to the car, enjoying the views to the edge of the Campsies as I go.

whangie11.jpg
Entering from the other side

whangie12.jpg
Campsie views on route back to the car park

All in all an enjoyable wee wander. Would recommend.
WeeHills

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland