walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Conival and Ben More Assynt

Conival and Ben More Assynt

Postby matthewdunford » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:58 am

Route description: Ben More Assynt and Conival

Munros included on this walk: Ben More Assynt, Conival

Date walked: 02/06/2021

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 23.24 km

Ascent: 1m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We had a beautiful day to walk Conival and Ben More Assynt.
After climbing Conival and Ben More Assynt, our guidebooks suggest there is a route off the ridge by heading to the southern top of Ben More Assynt and then heading down to the south end of the loch.
We could see no way down that we fancied from there; v steep and loose ground.
Instead, we carried on on the ridge in a southerly direction until the gradient eases and then headed south west before turning north back to the loch. You can then head back towards your route out.
[Ascent data from strava]
matthewdunford

Re: Conival and Ben More Assynt

Postby jmarkb » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:49 pm

matthewdunford wrote:our guidebooks suggest there is a route off the ridge by heading to the southern top of Ben More Assynt and then heading down to the south end of the loch.

I had hoped that guidebooks no longer recommended that route - perhaps yours are quite old? Folk have got into trouble descending the loose and awkward gully that drops from the col at NC324187. I have been down the slope immediately south of this gully, but it is very steep and I would not recommend it. Going over Carn nan Conbhairean and avoiding the steep ground as you did is a much better option, and likely just as quick.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Re: Conival and Ben More Assynt

Postby prog99 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:35 pm

jmarkb wrote:
matthewdunford wrote:our guidebooks suggest there is a route off the ridge by heading to the southern top of Ben More Assynt and then heading down to the south end of the loch.

I had hoped that guidebooks no longer recommended that route - perhaps yours are quite old? Folk have got into trouble descending the loose and awkward gully that drops from the col at NC324187. I have been down the slope immediately south of this gully, but it is very steep and I would not recommend it. Going over Carn nan Conbhairean and avoiding the steep ground as you did is a much better option, and likely just as quick.

Yes the newest book clarifies this.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland