walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fuar Tholl from Coulags

Fuar Tholl from Coulags

Postby past my sell by date » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:04 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Fuar Tholl

Date walked: 06/06/2021

Time taken: 6.25 hours

Distance: 11.2 km

Ascent: 991m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On my first visit to Shieldaig around 33 years ago, we had set out on the Coire Lair circuit as described in Ralph Storer's book "100 best walks in Scotland". This is quite a big undertaking, we were not as fit as we should have been, and although we managed the two munroes, starting with Beinn Liath Mhor, did not feel up to completing the circuit over Fuar Tholl. So it remained the biggest and most exciting hill in the area that I had not climbed and has remained a prime target ever since.
Heading up to Shieldaig for a few days to liaise with the Woodland Trust over a project on Ben Shieldaig I set out on a fine Sunday morning.
Walking in Torridon on a fine Sunday in June, getting a parking place is a major concern - and I'm afraid I am not a very early riser: another problem I have is in reading maps even with glasses, so I invariably put in my pocket a large scale sheet printed from Anquet which I can read without difficulty. I'm sure a lot of others do the same :) . But there are problems if you walk off the edge of it :lol: :lol:
I knew that I wanted Achnashellach so when I reached a gateway saying Achnashellach Estate I stopped (getting the last space). and kitted up. I chatted to Pete who was also getting ready - having slept in his car and in the middle of a Munro "fest!" - Maol Chean Dearg being his target for today. I set off up the track
8824.JPG

8827.JPG
Views up the track
Something didn't seem right, but it was enjoyable walking - not too hot - and I didn't worry. I carried on up the incline into the upper corrie when Pete caught me up. and we chatted again. I knew now that I was not where I should be so he got out his map (on his mobile :D ). The bad news - Fuar Tholl was not up to my L but on the R - but the good was that slopes leading up were very benign. I also remember reading in my Corbett book that "the only safe way off in bad weather is down the easy slopes to the South East"
There was no way I was going back, so while Pete crossed the bridge and carried on up the path past the bothy, I headed up easy angled heather to an area of sandstone ridges where I stopped for a rest.
8830.JPG
Fuar Tholl from the sandstone ridges. The ground steepened above and I decided to head for the gully on the right
8905.JPG
A better picture (taken on the way down)
8833.JPG
View North up the glen to An Ruadh Stac (L) and Maol Chean Dearg, with the rocky lump of Meall nan Ceapairean in front and Beinn Na-h-Eaglaise thru the gap behind the lochan
The sandstone ridges persisted for quite a distance (almost flat overall but a lot of up and down) but then I continued up easy slopes to the foot of the gully: It was completely dry but a few metres below I found a little waterfall where I had a good drink and filled my water bottle - important as there almost certainly wasn't going to be any further up
8836.JPG
Looking up the dry gully?: the first 50 m or so was small stones but then it became grass - short dry grass with lots of horizontal ledges :D :D ;
8839.JPG
Another shot of the fabulous view up the glen: I have always been mystified as why one of the whitest hills in the area should be called An Ruah Stac "the red hill" :lol: :lol:
8842.JPG
Up the grassy gully-
8846.JPG
Higher - where the ground steepened the grass veered L to a notch around the 700m mark where there is a flattening of the slope. I almost seemed to levitate up it :D :D
8848.JPG
From the grassy gully - looking South to the flat area called Carn Eididh: beyond some hills I couldn't identify
8854.jpg
At the notch - same view North again along the flatttening of the slope. I found it difficult to resist - lovely pastel shades of white quartzite, pink sandstone and light green grass
8851.JPG
I rested at the notch, but the way up to the col on the horizon looked equally painless - on short firm turf with just a bit of scree near the top: a cold wind was getting up and I put on an extra layer before continuing easily to the ridge: It had all proved to be a lot easier than I had feared :D
8857.JPG
From the ridge North North East across over Loch Coire Lair to Beinn Liath Mhor
I headed L first of all up the 857m Creag Mainnrichen
8860.JPG

8863.JPG
Two views of the famous and impressive Mainnrichen Buttress
then up to its 895m summit
8866.JPG
The Summit from Mainnrichen Buttress
8869.JPG
The col between the two - it's only a slight drop
8872.JPG
Looking down into Coire Lair from the col. The paths down the scree slopes look quite manageable - certainly no worse than the descent North from the "Mullach to wards Sgurr Ban

Views from the summit
8875.JPG
North to Sgorr Ruadh with the silhouette of Liatach behind
8878.JPG
Across Coire Lair to Beinn Liath Mhor
8885.JPG
Back W towards Mainnrichen - the Applecross hills at the back
8894.JPG
Zoomed view
8890.JPG
A young couple arrived who had done the entire circuit and still looked very fit - they took my pic in the summit Cairn :)
8881.JPG
Looking around South West - A'Chaorachain and Choinnich - centre
8896.JPG
I thought of descending via Coire Lair hoping to get a lift back to my starting point, but all the dramatic views would be in the shade so I decided to return to Coulags. Coming down from the summit I headed S - straight down these grassy slopes - tending Right to avoid scree patches and soon came to the notch at the top of my grassy gully
8900.JPG
The notch became quite obvious as I descended easily towards it
8902.JPG
Looking down the gully - which was equally easy in descent: I retraced my route to the sandstone ledges and on down to the path
8908.JPG
A final view back up towards Sgorr Ruadh and Fuar Tholl from near the path. I was back at the car only about 2hr 20 min after leaving the summit :)

Postscript. Of course all this is nonsense: I set out fully intending to climb the hill this way :shock: . If I weren't Past my sell by date you might actually believe me :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by past my sell by date on Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Re: Fuar Tholl from Coulags

Postby gld73 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:58 pm

Great photos! When I did Maol Chean-derg from Coulags a few years ago, I passed by the bothy and a guy was just leaving from there to do Fuar Tholl - he said he preferred going up from that side if there had been heavy rain in preceding days as it avoided the river crossing you have to do on the Achnashellach approach.
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Postby past my sell by date » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:51 pm

gld73 wrote:Great photos! When I did Maol Chean-derg from Coulags a few years ago, I passed by the bothy and a guy was just leaving from there to do Fuar Tholl - he said he preferred going up from that side if there had been heavy rain in preceding days as it avoided the river crossing you have to do on the Achnashellach approach.

Thanks - that's interesting. It looked a long slog from where I left the track, and I did think of heading up diagonally towards the 700m Bealach Mor S of Sgorr Ruadh, but it went quite easily :) - I was pleasantly surprised. i missed out of course on the dramatic views in Coire Lair but also on the crowds; After leaving Pete, I saw nobody til i reached the ridge
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby Veryhappybunny » Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:22 pm

Great pictures. We just followed your route up Fuar Tholl and thoroughly enjoyed it. We didn't see anyone else away from the main path up the glen either.
Veryhappybunny
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:158
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:90
Wainwrights:163   Islands:8

Postby past my sell by date » Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:57 pm

Great - glad you enjoyed the route. :D :D I found the start (where I left the path) a bit tedious, but the grassy gully was amazing and the section beyond the top of it very straightforward
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland