walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wet and dry on Westray's wild north west

Wet and dry on Westray's wild north west

Postby thepigguy » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:05 pm

Route description: Noup Head, Westray

Date walked: 18/06/2021

Distance: 7 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

"Have you seen the weather, it's not looking great."
"Yeah, but we're still going, aren't we."
"If you say so."

That was how I found myself spending my 60th birthday afternoon squelching down the track from Noup Head Lighthouse in misty, rainy, squally weather, wondering at what point showerproof trousers would give the game up (about halfway down is the answer).

Still, the picnic lunch was good and there were a lot of birds to watch. And we were only a five minute drive from home.

20210613_132254.jpg
Heading into the gloom on the way up to Noup Head.

20210613_135820.jpg
The lighthouse from the summit of Noup Head

20210613_141620.jpg
Looking back on the way down the track

A few days later, the weather had turned to glorious sunshine, so, finishing work at midday, I suggested we try again. It was one of my better ideas.

Having followed the WH route the previous Sunday we decided to do a straight up and down the coast from the car park at Backarass. The views on the way down to Noup Farm are fine, but the track is a bit of a trudge so we reckoned the views of the Westside, Fitty Hill and Rousay while walking on mostly short grass would be way better.

We parked at Backarass where there was already a car and a camper van, but there's room by the fertiliser bags. The path down to the coast keeps you clear of any cattle and then (apart from four or five very big stiles to negotiate) It's a nice easy walk up to the top of Noup Head and to the lighthouse just beyond and (in May, June and July) the most spectacular display of seabirds and coastal scenery.

20210618_130750.jpg
Path from car park to coast

1010535.jpg
Caves and arches are all along this coast.

1010601.jpg
The cliffs are home to thousands of birds

1010529.jpg
Guillemots (aaks)

1010611.jpg
Guillemot

1010544.jpg
Looking out for puffins

1010552.jpg
Puffin on the cliff below Noup Head

1010566.jpg
Collecting nesting material near the lighthouse

1010593.jpg
Gannets have thrived since they first arrived about 20 years ago

1010577.jpg
The archway marked on the map as John Harcus's Windows

20210618_155856.jpg
Heading back with the Marilyn Fitty Hill in view

We headed back the way we had come with happy sunburnt faces. For variation I've sometimes taken in the summit of North Hill, easily approached from Noup Head over tussocky grass in summer, but best reached along the south ridge in winter.
thepigguy
Walker

Munros:3   Corbetts:5
Fionas:10   Donalds:27+11
Sub 2000:68   Hewitts:5
Islands:24

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland