walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sunday Solitude - Beinn Damph

Sunday Solitude - Beinn Damph

Postby MusicalHiker » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:36 pm

Route description: Beinn Dàmh (or Ben Damph)

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Damh

Date walked: 06/06/2021

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 12 km

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This one had been on my wish list for a while, and I'd taken a week off teaching because of the lovely weather.

Having checked the forecast thoroughly, it appeared that Sunday promised the best weather and there would be clear skies with the odd cloud and a breeze. I couldn't set off too early though, because my new greenhouse had been installed the day before, and I had to get some shading on the windows before the cucumbers got burned. I got up at 4.30 am, and by 8 the shading was finished, the cucumbers were revelling in their new surroundings and I had made my packed lunch.

We set off for Torridon.... I'd had breakfast about 7 but I realised I needed Second Breakfast, so we stopped in Kinlochewe at the Gorse Bush - I have pancakes with bananas and toffee sauce - wouldn't normally consume so much sugar but I thought I'd burn it off quite quick! We were so enticed by the menu for dinner the evening that we booked a table before we left, guessing roughly how long I was going to be.... in the end we were an hour early but it worked out well, as they could take us right away.

Started walking, eventually, at 11.30, from the Torridon Hotel. Autocorrect calls it the 'Torrid Hotel' which doesn't sound half so nice. I left Trevor there for the day with coffee and laptop, in the bar around the other side. What's it called? Barn and Muck? Bo and Muc? Something like that! I'd insisted he leave the green Crocs at home and don his Loakes and Barbour jacket as it's such a posh place....

Off I went up the path signed 'Beinn Damph Viewpoint'.

Up through the woods was very lovely, with the tantalising glimpses of a beautiful waterfall, all the more magical for being so inaccessible.

DSC_5352.jpg
Woodland path from the Torridon Hotel
DSC_5354.jpg
Stone bridge over the burn
DSC_5355.jpg
Magical glimpses of the waterfall

Coming out of the trees and heading up towards the ridge, the views were spectacular. The path here is great. Turn right at the fork.

DE88A834-9C4B-4CE2-B1C8-44073B2E2BD6.jpg
Above the trees
DSC_5358.jpg
Torridon and Liathach

It was quite a warm hike up towards the ridge.... but the views are so good that it was ok to stop and take LOTS of pictures! I'd taken my big SLR.... heavy.... but worth it.... although the new iPhone (I say new, it's a 7) is pretty good too! I have only attached half of the photos I took...
DSC_5359.jpg
Go right here....
DSC_5361.jpg
Great views back
DSC_5365.jpg
Looking ahead

Gradually the path gave way to a bit of bog and a small section of scree, really small but still HORRIBLE so I went round it so I didn't fall on my arse (I hate scree). The ridge appeared, and it's initially a big, wide flattish area, with super views down into Loch Damph the other side, as well as out to the west towards Skye, and back to the other Torridon peaks - Liathach, Beinn Eighe, Beinn Alligin, etc.
DSC_5369.jpg
Ascending the hillside
DSC_5372.jpg
DSC_5377.jpg
Finally - the ridge approaches!

The steep part just before the ridge was definitely the hardest bit, but once on the ridge it was pretty easy and I like rocks, I like them far better than bogs, or scree, or deep heather! Rocks are good with me! BRING ON THE ROCKS!

I chose a sheltered bit where the wind eased, and sat down; I'd promised myself some fluids and snacks once I got to the ridge. Not a bad view! Half my pasta salad and some water later, I set off again up the ridge. It was very windy, certainly no midge would fly in it, and no flies either, and it kept me cool - so cool I put on my gloves which I'd packed just in case.

DSC_5378.jpg
Loch Damph
DSC_5381.jpg
Time for a tea break!

All the time, I was wondering: where was everyone else? I'd seen a group of four folk further down but they didn't go near the top and I never saw anyone else the whole day... on a sunny Sunday in June! Maybe they were all on Liathach or Beinn Eighe.... which I'm banned from doing without a companion, so I have a good friend who's in Mountain Rescue lined up for Beinn Eighe later in the summer, so at least I'll have the right guy there if I fall off.

From here it's grassy, then a mixture, then just rocky, with a path that's ok as long as you keep your eye on it and follow the cairns which lead ever higher... the path goes around to the right to avoid some of the rougher bits and then carries on around, over another undulation and gradually towards the final ridge, for a time being entirely rocky and lacking a path, as it's just ROCKS, although the cairns are useful - just go from one to the next, although in bad visibility they would be impossible to see! This bit took a while, and you can't see the summit for some time....

DSC_5401.jpg
Rocks ahoy

DSC_5391.jpg
Bypass path
DSC_5392.jpg
Looking towards the west coast

DSC_5403.jpg
The top comes into view....

Soon after this the spectacular final ridge appears, with the enormous bowl below... I think I might have squealed with excitement at the sight! I was certainly talking to myself, 'wow this is so great, woohoo,' etc....
IMG_2387.jpg
Big bowl phone pic

DSC_5404.jpg
The drama increases...
DSC_5405.jpg
The final, exciting ridge

The ridge never gets too narrow, and I felt perfectly secure. I'm absolutely fine with heights - my husband could not have gone near it and has kittens every time I show him my photos, but it's never so narrow that you have to be close to the edge if you don't fancy it. I did fancy it, I RELISHED it, so I walked fairly close so I could see into the plunging depths....

DSC_5407.jpg
Ascending the ridge

DSC_5413.jpg
Approaching the top

DSC_5426.jpg
Looking back along the ridge - wow!

IMG_2412.jpg
Phone pic

DSC_5441.jpg

The summit! Balanced the camera on a rock for some selfies.... I was here half an hour finishing my food and taking pictures.

DSC_5438.jpg
Yeee-ha!

Now for EVEN MORE incredible views..... superb panoramas of some cracking hills..... a tiny bit hazy but really a pretty fabulous day!

DSC_5442.jpg
IMG_2391.jpg
Panoramic - taken on the phone

After an enjoyable summit break I packed the camera away in my backpack and headed back down.
I passed a ptarmigan with chicks, only about 3 days old. I knew this due to my previous experience rearing chicks, as due to my 'slightly' unconventional home education on a remote island my maths is appalling but I can hatch and rear chicks, once acting as a goose mother when I was only 12 and rearing 5 goslings. Anyway - they looked like they were about to scatter and hide, so I dove off the path and took a detour to avoid disturbing them. I heard meadow pipits and many cuckoos, plus a distant golden plover.
Happily, I saw no litter at all.
IMG_2414.jpg
Sun still shining on the way down...

I made it back down by 5 and we arrived for dinner at 6, which was very good - decent veggie food, for a change; a celeriac strudel with polenta, apple and walnut salad, and veg. Very nice indeed. Incredible food for a place that looks like an ancient community centre made from an old shed (pretty much what it is!) As usual had to watch hubby getting stuck into half a lamb - no animals are safe when he's around....

Home to Beauly about 8.30pm. Now, what to climb next.....
MusicalHiker
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:22   Islands:22

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland