walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Broad Buttress - Buachaille Etive Mor

Broad Buttress - Buachaille Etive Mor

Postby Stripey Hat Guy » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:00 pm

Date walked: 20/06/2021

Ascent: 780m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was looking for a short scramble day in Glencoe and thought I would give the Broad Buttress up the Buachaille Etive Mor a try - returning via the curved ridge.

I parked at the car park in Altnafeadh, crossed the river by the bridge and followed the path direction curved ridge. When passing the side of Buachaille Etive Mor you can actually see a faint path heading up to the right to a pretty distinct bump (at least it looks like this from the button). I headed more or less pathless up always near the burn which comes down and after 5 Minutes a path appeared which brought me up to the first big bump/step.

The steps, holds and rock is good as long as you avoid the "slimy" ones which are easy to identify by the black slime on top of it. After the first step comes a second, final step where I kept to the left (I believe it is recommended to stay rather right) where it got a bit more tricky but nothing to difficult/always options to make it a bit easier - but therefore always with a great view to the Great Gully Buttress and the North Buttress.

After reaching the top of the scramble it is like 200 altitude meters to the top of the Buachaille Etive Mor from where I decended via the curved ridge back to the car park. The curved ridge down wasn't as uncomfortable as I thought it would be and after a short walk down the path I reached the car in Altnafeadh.

Video Memory of the Broad Buttress:
Stripey Hat Guy

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland