walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Gulvain, nice long walk in perfect weather.

Gulvain, nice long walk in perfect weather.

Postby martin.h » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:03 pm

Munros included on this walk: Gulvain

Date walked: 31/05/2021

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 23 km

Ascent: 1331m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The forecast was very favourable for Monday 31st May which was the deciding factor to do Gulvain, the original plan for this mountain was to use the bikes for the journey along the Glen, however, the weather was set fair for the whole day so we decided to walk the whole route and take our time, the other, perhaps important factor was, we didn't have
our bikes :lol:

We've wanted to do Gulvain for a few years now, it's one of those mountains that seem to stand out as a must do, maybe because it's fairly remote or maybe because it's a beast of a hill, a bit of a challenge with the steep ascent,
a tester, or just one of those Munros we'll really enjoy, a combination of all of the above the most likely :D

We parked in the sizable layby near the junction with the A861 and A830 and followed the walkhighlands route along
Glen Fionnlighe.

It was a lovely spring morning the sun was out (so were the midges :roll: ) everywhere was that lovely fresh green we get in late May early June and it was warm.

The way to go

The walk to the base of Gulvain is long and on a good track

In good weather it's a joy, we saw a couple of Buzzards I mistook for Eagles, to the untrained eye, mine, they looked like Eagles :lol: Denise put me right, Deer, Jays, a Weasel type thing and loads of Tadpoles in the pools along the way, when we got our first view of Gulvain we realised that it really is a long walk in, it looked miles away.

As the mountain got closer we could make out the path winding its way up and we could see why the route description says it's a relentlessly steep ascent :shock:

We had a bit of a break before we started the climb then we set off prepared for a long slog.

As it turned out the climb really isn't that bad, the path zigzags for a lot of the initial ascent so it takes the sting out of it, as a rhythm is established you quickly gain height and the views get better and better especially towards Moidart and Ardgour, it was warm work but we were enjoying it :D

We arrived at the cairn on point 855m with some relief knowing that most of the ascent and hard work was behind us, we could see the south summit and main summit but before we set off for the trigpoint we had something to eat and took in the views.

Hazy Ben Nevis and Co

There's a bit of a drop to the little lochans just below us then it's a steady pull up to the south summit, the views from the trig are superb,

looking to the main summit we knew the views were going to be even better.

We set off for the summit, the initial descent to the saddle between the two tops was loose to start with, it levels off then starts a steady climb to the main summit which narrows near the top.

On the summit the views were better than superb, we could see a lot of the Munros we still have to do, mainly the
Arkaig trio, Sgurr Thuilm, Sgurr nan Coireachan and Sgurr Mor above Loch Cuaich I'm sure we could make out the Knoydart Munros, we want to get those done before we get too old, maybe sometime in the next couple of years :D

Looking back to the south summit

We were on the summit for nearly an hour having lunch enjoying the weather and the magnificent views but we had to get going so, reluctantly, packed up and set off for the descent re-tracing our way up.

We found the descent a bit arduous to be honest, we're not as flexible as we used to be and this is a steep mountain side

It doesn't seem to be getting any closer :shock: the views are good tho'

Once back in the Glen and on level ground we stopped for a well earned rest before the long walk out.

It took us about an hour and a quarter to get back to the road, not too bad I guess, we felt it but were glad we'd walked the whole route, it's worth doing, the weather made the difference, we could take our time, we couldn't have asked for anything better :D
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Re: Gulvain, nice long walk in perfect weather.

Postby Jon and Jen » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:06 pm

Great pics and report. Looking at this for July with a few others around Glenfinnan. Not happy to see the tick sign. They seem to find me in numbers everywhere I go. :(
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Re: Gulvain, nice long walk in perfect weather.

Postby martin.h » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:28 pm

Jon and Jen wrote:Great pics and report. Looking at this for July with a few others around Glenfinnan. Not happy to see the tick sign. They seem to find me in numbers everywhere I go. :(

I hope you get good weather, it's worth taking your time doing Gulvain, using a bike would be an advantage but the walk in and out isn't too bad really.
We're hoping to do Sgurr Thuilm and Sgurr nan Coireachan the first week in August, fingers crossed :D
Ticks find us too, the little blighters :lol:

Cheers
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland