walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Cleugh Circular

Ben Cleugh Circular

Postby cbuchanan3 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:52 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Ben Cleuch

Donalds included on this walk: Ben Cleuch

Date walked: 20/06/2021

Time taken: 3.25 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 745m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having decided to try and do some regular hillwalking, had a few hours to spare so ventured over to the Ochils. Never ceases to amaze me how we can so often ignore what’s right on our doorstep!

Decided to park at Woodlands car park in Alva and do a circular route that would take in Ben Cleugh.
Walked up through the woods at Silver Glen and the joined the farm tracks for a bit and then headed straight up The Nebbit – steep enough to get the heart rate up right away! From there headed over the other side before dropping down and joining the route up south side of Ben Ever. Just before the top passed 3 guys who were the first people I’d seen so far. Debated which way to go off the top before deciding to head up Ben Cleugh – first 3 hills all steep enough to have me sweating a bit!

Stopped briefly for a bit of lunch before following the fence line down and then heading over to Ben Buck. Started to follow the path that takes you down to Benbuck burn and picks up the farm track, but had a change of heart and decided to walk over towards Ben Ever and taking the path the skirts the East side of the hill – wasn’t clearly distinguishable, but a bit further along suddenly appeared and then followed this along the ridge and then wee uphill to Millar Hill before dropping down through the craggy gully and up to Rough Knowes. Great views in all directions even though overcast day.
Thought about retracing my steps and picking up the clearly defined path back to the farm track, but noticed there was a path down that headed into the woods – quite steep in bits and had been moving at a fair pace (for me!) and halfway down was wishing I’d followed the straightforward albeit longer route down as my tootsies were starting to hurt! Nevertheless, hit the edge of the woods, over the fence and followed the path down into the woods before picking up the main path back to the car park.

Very enjoyable, and as a newbie plan to spend a fair bit of time here this summer. Firstly as there 15mins from my house, but more importantly there’s plenty easily distinguishable hills together with lots of paths and good handrails to help a beginner with navigating.
Attachments
IMG_20210620_134702.jpg
IMG_20210620_134700.jpg
IMG_20210620_132801.jpg
IMG_20210620_125110.jpg
IMG_20210620_123929.jpg
IMG_20210620_121817.jpg
IMG_20210620_134702.jpg
IMG_20210620_115918.jpg
IMG_20210620_112128.jpg

activity_6991545283.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

cbuchanan3

Munros:15   
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:6

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland