walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Chonzie

Ben Chonzie

Postby Jmarr4 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:34 am

Route description: Ben Chonzie via Glen Lednock

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 15/05/2021

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 15.5 km

Ascent: 712m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

For my first Munro in 9 years, I wanted an easy one! I’m not a stranger to hills; Iv climbed quite a few over the years, some solo and some with friends but I was quite nervous for this one being it my first Munro in a while and also on my own. I planned it out on Komoot on my phone, printed off the Walk Highlands route and walk description, and packed a map and my dads compass along with everything else I could possibly think of into my new hiking bag. I had already checked with the current Mr Jen what I needed, and he kept me right. I followed all of his advice except one point: get there half an hour before sunrise to start the walk. I checked sunrise, 0500. Yeah, sod that! :lol: I left the house at 0630 and arrived at 0730, enjoying the twisty roads on the way in. The little car park was full but there was plenty of space on the grassy area next to it. However, it was starting to fill up.

I parked up, got my walking shoes on, got all my stuff together and started my walk while chomping on an apple. As the path got steeper I passed a few people on the way, giving and receiving some jolly “hello”s as I did so. It’s fairly steep in sections, but a good, clear path most of the way.

95FF840E-F237-432C-AB2A-2A847BDD07D6.jpeg
Setting off

BD4BC85D-2618-44E8-BEE2-D3FA859815CA.jpeg
Ascent looking back

Following the WH route, I turned left at the cairn and turned back to take pics of the views but no-one behind me followed. I started to doubt myself… was I going the wrong way?! But the route description convinced me I was fine. So I wandered up a bit more, looking back regularly. Still no-one followed. I wondered if I should go back down and follow them…. Stubbornly I decided no! I am not a sheep!! I stood there for a minute pretending to take photos and then I spotted a guy with gaiters on who looked like he knew what he was doing. He was walking up the route I had just taken with purpose. Phew! He got closer and I asked if this was the way, he confirmed I was right and that this was a faster way as it cuts out a whole section to the side. Thank goodness. I need to go with my gut more often! So I climbed and followed this dude who was now in front of me. I felt like he kept looking back to make sure I was ok, so I felt quite safe under his watchful eye! :lol: very grateful for that dude that day!

9F4EDAB3-13C0-4099-A905-7D18E2C603E5.jpeg
Taken while trying to decide whether to stick to my guns or follow the others! 😂

The track after the small cairn is quite narrow and didn’t fancy coming down it if it was busier especially with Covid still around so took note of that for later. Eventually the route evened out a bit and I could see the summit. I climbed the next section and then there was snow! Quick pic with the snow in the background “for the ‘gram” and back on my mission again. I got to the summit and it was busier than I expected, as no-one had passed me except for that one guy, and there weren’t that many cars in the car park. I forgot there was another route up though. I asked someone to take my picture for me and I took a pic of them with their group. I chatted to a few people while I had some food and enjoyed the views. It was absolutely freezing at the top but so clear. I’d read reports that the walk was boring and nothing to write home about but I had enjoyed it, and the view over to Loch Turret was gorgeous.

DE64EA84-AE06-416C-9122-9FA1639B0F87.jpeg
Snow pic for the ‘gram 😂

6895893D-6A57-499A-93EC-ACD0ACFC7532.jpeg
On the Summit!

B973100A-DCF0-438F-9292-34BC35E71B37.jpeg
Views down to Loch Turret

95131863-968F-4801-A76F-E1B7FF4741A5.jpeg

I chatted to a couple of others and we all ended up heading back to the car park at the same time. I decided to go the longer route back to the car. It was busy, and I wanted to avoid stopping loads to let people past. So I tagged along with a man and a women who were friends and had ascended the longer way. I was kinda relying on them for the route since they had come up it, so figured they’d know where we were going…. We followed the fence posts and got to a huge arrow made of stones pointing to our right. We joked about what that meant and kept going on our merry way. A few minutes later the lady said, hold on, I don’t recognise this….. yep, the arrow was to show us the way onto the main path! :oops: :lol: so we back tracked and got onto the path. The journey back was fairly uneventful after our small detour! I was going to visit a friend in Comrie on my way home so tried to organise that before I ran out of signal.

672A2CC6-271B-4402-AD45-AF52664C6E2A.jpeg
Back on the right path again with some moody skies above

When I returned back to the car, the roads were absolutely chocca. Cars were parked for miles at the side of the road so I’m glad I got there when I did. I got to my friends house in Comrie and he had the coffee machine already on for me. We sat in the garden having a cuppa and a catch up and he proceeded to inform me he’s only been at the top of one Munro and that was when he landed a helicopter on it! :lol: if only it was that easy for the rest of us! All in all, I think it was a great Munro for my first in 9 years and a lesson learnt; follow the arrows! Or learn to fly a helicopter. :D
Jmarr4
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:4
Fionas:3   Donalds:4+3
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:2
Islands:3

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland