walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vorlich and Stuc a’Chroin

Ben Vorlich and Stuc a’Chroin

Postby Jmarr4 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:48 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich and Stùc a' Chròin

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn), Stùc a' Chròin

Date walked: 01/06/2021

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 15.4 km

Ascent: 1120m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Doing Ben Vorlich and Stuc a’Chroin ended up being the result of a last minute change of plans. I teach brass instruments in schools and my private school was on half term on the day I was supposed to be there, so I arranged to climb some hills with my friend from Uni, also the woodwind teacher at the school. Our original plan was either something in the Arrochars or in the Ben Lawers range, however, I was briefly with a friend on the previous Friday and she tested positive for Covid that evening! I was outside and was wearing a mask, so my exposure was minimal, and I was told I didn’t need to self isolate, but I decided to be careful and not spend any length of time with anyone, so I let her know and made other plans.

A 0500 hour alarm and a 90 min drive to Loch Earn meant I was parked and booted up (in my new boots - Scarpa SL Activ’s 🤩), ready to leave at 0700 hours. The lay-bys were empty, apart from a couple of camper vans with their occupants giving it big Zzzzz’s inside. I had already eaten breakfast on my journey so munched on an apple on the initial ascent. It was sooooo misty, but I knew it was due to clear up as the morning went on. About maybe between a third of the way up and half way I stopped to adjust the laces on my boots as I could feel my heels starting to get sore, and as I did so and turned around to check the view. The clag had started to clear and the sun was coming out, and I caught a gorgeous cloud inversion there. I slapped on some sun cream and had a brief conversation with the only other person crazy enough to be there at that time on a Tuesday morning! 😂 we chatted about our intended routes up Stuc a’Chroin, he wasn’t sure which way he was going to go yet, and I said I’d probably ended up following him. Then he continued on his journey as I popped everything back in my bag.

65A778EC-2D18-48AE-B1C8-BA779FEBE34A.jpeg
Loch Earn

6CF4147E-989B-48BC-9CC1-7F8E0C526B28.jpeg
Love a water long exposure! 😂

D06B0848-B356-477A-AD5B-E2B3591F8E59.jpeg
Hmmm

FAF640A7-5573-419B-910E-B84081421118.jpeg
Ah yes, there we go!

0449289C-B442-4E29-8301-C3446D9C58C9.jpeg
Still gorge

As the climb got steeper, I started to flag a bit. I’m on a specific eating plan and was 4 weeks into a cut by this stage. In the cut my carbs and fats are dropped quite a bit but protein is still nice and high. I also carb cycle and I only ever walk when I’m on a high carb day during this cycle but this means the previous day is a low day, so I was running quite low on fuel. I stopped often and walked slowly, especially on the steeper sections. When I got to the steepest part of the climb, I would take 20 steps, then take a break. If I could keep going, I’d do 50 steps before taking a break. If I felt I could do more, I’d go to 70 or 80 then 100 then take a break. The clag had come back in now but very occasionally I got some awesome views across to Meall na Fearna when I stopped to rest my legs, which had absolutely nothing in them by this point. I was determined to get to the top, but really was contemplating just coming back down and not bothering with Stuc a’Chroin. Then I spotted the trig, I was so close! I estimated 150 steps, so I got back on with my counting. Got to 150, dammit, not enough… maybe another 100. 87 it was! I was exhausted! I sat down at the base of the trig point and ate a yoghurt. I messaged the current Mr Jen to say I was at the top, but knackered and vowed I wouldn't be tackling any more munros while in this 6 week cut. I wandered over to the cairn at the other side and got a few photos. The clouds were rolling in and past me. It felt really eerie to be up there on my own. I felt better with some fuel in me so decided to tackle Stuc a’Chroin. I hadn’t yet decided whether to go up the prow or the easier path, I figured I’d decide when I got to the bottom.

B8785801-BF8C-40CF-A4F5-E5EE2B8AEABD.jpeg
Almost at Ben Vorlich summit

37F20E8E-A276-4AFC-B892-3E955A3D9EE7.jpeg
It was there a minute ago….

On my descent, I spotted the guy in front of me, he’d taken the easier path, I sent a quick message to the current Mr Jen for reassurance/advice and he told me to stop being a wuss and do the prow, it’s not as bad as it looks. :lol: I was more worried in case something happened and I was there on my own, but I put my big girl pants on, sent him my location and said if he doesn’t hear from me in an hour to call Mountain Rescue. His reply: Lol. :lol: I started climbing up. I hadn’t done anything like this since I was at school (which wasn’t yesterday!). I used to go on activity holidays in Wales as a child with my family and we’d go rock climbing, abseiling, hillwalking, etc, so I’m not a stranger to it completely but it’s been a while and I was on my own at this point. I was fine though, just taking it slowly and securely. Not taking chances. A younger guy caught up with me. I offered to let him past but he said it was fine. After a few minutes at my much slower pace, he said “I’ll just get past you here” and off he went :lol: following him gave me more confidence though and I picked up some speed to the top. I really enjoyed the scramble, even if I was almost pooping myself all the way! :lol:

72BCE331-C14C-42A5-9206-79582F40F383.jpeg
Here I go

3EFD60DC-12CA-4C96-B474-2F2DEF332CDB.jpeg

3D0979F1-31D1-419C-BC82-B0CFE626D980.jpeg
Made it!

I messaged CMJ to reassure him I didn’t die. His reply: You haven’t gone back down yet! :shock: :lol: he also told me to not miss the bigger cairn to the Northwest of the top. I visited both, then had lunch at the smaller cairn. Some people came and went and I sat up there for ages, maybe an hour?! It was really warm, with no wind and all the clouds had lifted so I just sat there reflecting on my walk, that climb to the top, and how much I need more food to do days like today.

F4BCD448-203B-4C56-9D19-E83EFA47DEDD.jpeg
Little Cairn

AC6961C3-6A8B-413D-BC8F-C4D17BFC3862.jpeg
Big cairn

46FE91A0-2A8F-49D4-9F86-C2BD5B398237.jpeg

C3D8F720-917E-410F-92E1-CEB99D96506B.jpeg

After a while I decided to go down. CMJ recommended to go down the way I came, but I really didn’t feel like climbing Ben Vorlich again so opted for the bog, thinking that as it hadn’t rained in a while, it might not be as bad…. How wrong I was. 🤦🏼‍♀️ I first had to get to the bottom. Wow, that path is steeeep! And just scree for a lot of it. I ended up just sitting down on my bum and coming down that way in some places. There is a grassy path to the side but I didn’t want to further erode that unless I had to. I met a couple of guys ascending who had just come through the bog (basically doing my route in reverse) I looked at the guys’ boots covered in mud and my heart sank. Oh well. The bog was yuk. It seemed to go on for forever. I kept taking the drier routes where I could avoid the deeper stuff, but I also wanted to avoid walking through the heather as much as I could as I really didn’t want any ticks! After being covered in them and a head stuck in my knee years ago before a trip to A and E, I’ve developed a bit of a phobia to them! 🙈 anyway, eventually (after what felt like 3 hours, maybe it was?! 😂) I got back onto the path and I plodded my way down really wishing I hadn’t left my walking poles in the boot of the car. Won’t do that again!

6078BEF1-0290-4ACC-8BB4-9DB7776B03E7.jpeg
Looking back before the bog

I got to my car and sneakily changed into my bikini for a splash in Loch Earn. The water was freezing, so I kinda paddled letting my feet cool down then splashed myself before trying to build up the courage to submerge myself. Nope, not today! I put on my shorts and T-shirt then sat on a little jetty and let my feet dangle in the water while I reflected on my day. Some good munros today, I preferred Stuc a’Chroin to Ben Vorlich and loved the scramble but hated the bog. Next time I’d do the return the same way as I got there and with someone just in case. However, I also vowed again no more munros for me while I’m in this cut. As I pondered, a couple of ducks came over to say hello and after a while it was time to jump back in the car for my drive home. 2 more munros in the bag. Stuc a’Chroin being my 5th, (4th in the space of 3 weeks). Happy Jen. :D
Attachments
F83A5F68-A4F2-4467-B568-3FB353F5D9B9.jpeg
Back at Loch Earn for a paddle and contemplation
Jmarr4
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:4
Fionas:3   Donalds:4+3
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:2
Islands:3

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland