walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cor(rie Fee) Blimey, Mayar and Driesh

Cor(rie Fee) Blimey, Mayar and Driesh

Postby Jmarr4 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:19 pm

Route description: Mayar and Driesh, Glen Clova

Munros included on this walk: Driesh, Mayar

Date walked: 12/06/2021

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 871m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had wanted to do these Munro’s for a while, since it’s so close to my first one, Mount Keen, and despite vowing not to do any more Munro’s until I was out of this cut phase (see Ben Vorlich and Stuc a’Chroin for that), it was the perfect double to do while still on minimal macros and changing my mind on wanting to get my Munro’s in. I did my usual and added the route to Komoot the previous night, had an early night for my 0500 hours alarm. Showered and ready by 0530, I hit the road and arrived at Glen Doll car park at around 0715. There is a £2 charge (coins) here and by this point the car park was starting to fill up. Many camper vans had been there overnight. I quickly booted up, had a brief chat with the girl who had parked next to me about the weather and I set off.

It was a pretty straightforward path and it follows a little stream the majority of the way. There are little posts alongside the path with information on them about the area, I didn’t stop to read these on this occasion, but when I return I will make more of an effort.

69D0550C-9392-417B-9231-EBFC4365BE93.jpeg

28839C26-A328-4FA5-97FA-2505619654F8.jpeg

A man quickly caught up with me and then the girl that parked next to me after that, and they shot off into the distance! I was quite happy with my pace, very aware that running on low carbs could see me struggle later so I had to conserve energy. “It’s not a race” I had to keep telling myself! :roll: anyway, quite uneventful until the path inclined, and I knew we were approaching Corrie Fee, so I took my phone out to video my walk up, and there it was. It presented itself in all its glory, in the gorgeous sunshine, like the curtains opening at the theatre, and I actually felt myself get a bit overwhelmed! I felt tiny amongst my surroundings and I just stood there taking photos in awe. Checked my phone signal to send them to the Current Mr Jen and my family group chat, but no signal! So I wandered along, taking photos and looking back and taking more as I made my way through the glen.

36666B7C-52A8-485F-A4C0-55ED5BA2C9F3.jpeg
Wowsers

EDF23780-B04B-476E-BE4F-D08ABDD0B0B7.jpeg

5C5CA147-9EFE-40C4-9DBA-C07E7C6344C8.jpeg

DBB51ED8-EB17-46F2-B76A-B24A8BA79048.jpeg

558142F5-29E9-411B-AD04-EA0AB25FC1A0.jpeg

EE41357B-BC41-4783-AF14-8D6F4C8FA536.jpeg

I started climbing, taking more photos of the waterfall, it just goes on and on! I do love a waterfall! I noticed loads of little blue beetles on their back, legs flailing around so I flipped them back onto their fronts and tried to get them off the path before people behind me stood on them. I discovered later that they are at the end of their life when they do that anyway, so I guess it was a wasted effort! :cry:

ACA6664E-0498-41EA-8005-97309E03BCC8.jpeg
Waterfall!

A0D856CF-C925-4000-852B-AC4ECE890344.jpeg

Up I climbed and I could hear groups of people behind me. I turned round now and again and could see them in the distance, their voices were carrying well! Got to a great little ridge to properly see the waterfall, and had a good look around, I really was loving this walk! I saw a guy in a bright yellow top coming up quickly behind me and then another couple of guys, and I was shocked to discover the guys caught up with me a bit further up the hill, but no dude in the yellow…. Maybe he stopped for a bit… anyway, I stood to the side and let them past, still conserving energy but I was starting to get tired now, so did my counting to 50 steps, 70, 80, then 100 before a rest to keep me going.

Eventually I got to the summit cairn and tried a little photo with my tripod but it was so windy, it kept getting blown over. I got someone to take a pic for me and hunkered down for a snack, chatting to the guys that passed me earlier. Turns out the guy in the yellow was trail running and he climbed up a much steeper path which cut out the walk we did. I didn’t even spot another route, so no idea which way he went! My phone had sprung into life near the summit, so gave a quick update to Current Mr Jen, and had a scan through emails while I ate my yoghurt, feeling quite happy with myself!

72199D18-4A91-4D10-9C20-50779D595A9F.jpeg
Mayar!

After a while I set off in the direction of Driesh. After walking alongside the fence posts, I spotted a little path heading in the direction of Driesh, it wasn’t the route on Komoot, but suspected it would take me to the same place, and it did. The ascent to Driesh was fine, but I was starting to get tired on the steep section. I stopped half way to chat to the girl I spoke to in the car park on her descent for a bit then got back on track. I suddenly felt my strength coming back after my yoghurt and I picked up the pace for the final steeper ascent and onto the more gradual climb to the summit. The time taken to get from Mayar to Driesh was 1hr, including my chats to various people on the way, but it didn’t feel like an hour, more like 30 mins!

It was soooo windy at the top, I got myself on top of the trig inside the mahoosive cairn and asked one of the guys from earlier (sure they are following me! :lol: ) to take a pic of me up there. I stood up on the trig for the pic and quickly got back down again, as I was fairly certain I was going to get blown away if I stayed up there any longer! :o

19047457-1E07-4E5E-85EC-48C740E5F277.jpeg
Windy Driesh

I collected my stuff and once again, hunkered down to eat my sandwich, chocolate and protein bar while chatting to the guys. I have no idea how long I stayed up there for, quite a while, but time was marching on and the wind was picking up, so I set off again back to the car. Said some hellos to passing people and had some brief chats with others then chatted to someone also on her descent for the rest of the way until we got back to the car. We swapped numbers so we could arrange some walks another time and I sat in my car and reflected on how much I enjoyed my walk. I looked down at my fuel gauge, 40 miles left. Oops, a less spirited drive back to a petrol station it would be then. (I arrived at the petrol station with 2 miles to spare 💪🏼 :lol: ) A very enjoyable walk on a lovely day.

32A46AE8-FAF8-4B15-963B-F8C41CABF349.jpeg
Jmarr4
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:4+3
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:2
Islands:3

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland