walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Strathfarrer 4

The Strathfarrer 4

Postby JimboJim » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:56 pm

Route description: Glen Strathfarrar Munros circuit

Munros included on this walk: Càrn nan Gobhar (Strathfarrar), Sgùrr a' Choire Ghlais, Sgùrr Fhuar-thuill, Sgùrr na Ruaidhe

Date walked: 03/06/2021

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 25 km

Ascent: 1567m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Big Jasper, managed to fix up a rendezvous, with Lawrence and I, to tackle the Strathfarrer 4, which has been awaiting us for a while now. We decided to take one bike, drive to the far end of the walk, deposit it there, return to the traditional start point and do the circuit anti-clockwise. My turn to drive, so we took my bike, but surely one of the fit guys would do the cycle :?: :lol:
1.JPG
Big Jesper, heading in. Despite initial thoughts, none of the hills ahead was our first. Sgùrr a'Choire Ghlais, left and Carn nan Gobhar, back far right.

I think we arrived at the car park about 20 mins before the gate opened. Quite a lot of other cars there too. Had a nice bleather with a couple from Ballachulish and were just beginning to wonder what happens on a busy weekend, when it was time for "drivers start your engines!" :) Time to meet the lady at the gate! Very nice and chatty she was, too. Enjoyed the nice run down the glen, though it felt further than I expected.
2.JPG
Despite apparent gradual gradient it, was still a good hike up Sgurr na Ruaidhe, which is maybe higher than one thinks and keeps going and going.

Bike was duly dumped, along with a couple of others, as we then returned to the start of the race. Well, of course it isn't a race, but sometimes with this pair, it can feel like it for poor Jimbo :D Weather was quite bright and pleasant at this point, as we focussed on the looming hills. As described, it is a bit further till the route up Sgurr na Ruaidhe comes into view. It was also a surprisingly long hard grind for me, as we followed behind about half a dozen different groups, some of whom we passed at various times round the circuit.
3.JPG
Looking over to Mullardoch hills. Sgurr na Lapaich and An Riabhachan, I think?
4.JPG
Looks a decent day. Didn't quite stay that way.
5.JPG
And the winner of the fashion parade is ............ :)

I think it was maybe around an hour and a half to the summit, although I may have trudged home a few minutes behind the lads :) From the summit, it's a 90 degree change of course, descending approx NW over lovely mossy grass, to the next bealach and onwards up to No.2, though at that time we were thinking it must only be a top. Again, I was puffing hard and lagging well behind Jaf and Lawrence, as we crossed a rough boulderfield, to what was the summit of Carn nan Gobhar, which the lads had double checked by the time I got there. Again, not too sure but, think that was 40 minutes, maybe less, from the 1st summit.
6.JPG
Heading off for Carn nan Gabhar, far right, not much more than a short stroll.

I'd have to say the hills thus far, were a bit on the underwhelming side, despite the physical effort involved, but ahead of us stretched a fine looking ridge and several shapely summits. Much nicer! Enjoyed the walk to Bealach Sneachda, then the tough work begins heading up to the summit of Sgùrr a'Choire Ghlais, 1083m, highest of the quartet and crowned with two big cairns and trig point for good measure. By now it was much duller, windier and I was beginning to wonder if my decision to put on the shorts had been a bit foolhardy, specially when the lads donned another layer :)
7.JPG
The rest of the ridge from CnG.
8.JPG
Thanks, or maybe no thanks to the kind chap who took the pic.
9.JPG
Rest of ridge lies ahead. Much better looking than first two hills.
10.JPG
The final haul up Sgùrr a'Choire Ghlais, quite a few folk ahead.
11.JPG
From SaCG.
12.JPG
Lawrence and Big Jesper, on Munro #3, Sgùrr a'Choire Ghlais.
13.JPG
Ahead to Creag Ghorm a'Bhealaich and No.4 beyond.
14.JPG
Still some nice cornicing around.
15.JPG
Dog tired, like me!
16.JPG
Creag Ghorm a'Bhealaich.
17.JPG
Look back to No.2
18.JPG
Sgùrr Fhuar-thuill awaits.
19.JPG
Occasional spits of rain and menacing sky to the south, but fortunately never came to much.

The ridge narrows a bit on the way over to Creag Ghorm a'Bhealaich, but nothing worrying. A few large cornices and pockets of snow still around the fine corrie here. Another short up and down and we were on the summit of No.4, Sgùrr Fhuar-thuill. The sky was looking grey, heavy and menacing now, but for the most part the rain held off.
20.JPG
I guess that means Sgùrr Fhuar-thuill.
21.JPG
The two senior fellow's, one fit and one ......... not fit :)

After usual pics, we headed of for the top of Sgurr na Feastaig. En route there is a small cairn, just past the bealach, which marks the drop off, onto a stalkers path. Hawkeye Lawrence, spotted it but me and Big Jaf, walked blindly on by. We quickly backtracked to the spot, when Lawrence pointed this out, but it is also possible, to continue over this top, round the corrie and drop down onto the same path a bit further down, as demonstrated by a small family group we had just passed.
22.JPG
Across to Maoile Lunndaidh. Sgùrr a' Chaorachain back there, too.
23.JPG
Heading round to the descent point, which we walked past.
24.JPG
Looking across to the slabby face of Sgùrr na Muice, with Loch Toll a' Mhuic below.
25.JPG
Final track down to the tarmac.

The walk out Toll a' Mhuic is quite pleasant, passing close to the loch and under the impressive, craggy face of Sgùrr na Muice. Before long we were on a rough track alongside the Allt Toll a' Mhuic, which eventually emerges onto the main highway. I had hinted long and loudly that it would be a good idea for someone to try out my bike, or get the benefit of some cycling under their belt, but neither was for having it, so the old codger had to jump on the bike and head the 6km back to the car :lol: Fortunately, the road wasn't too hilly and I was soon back at the car, taking 6 hours, all in. A fine circuit, though definitely more impressive and enjoyable after the first two are in the bag.
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland