walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Clisham - a brief visit

Clisham - a brief visit

Postby rockhopper » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:45 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Clisham

Date walked: 17/06/2021

Distance: 28 km

Ascent: 1010m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We had planned a couple of weeks revisit to the Outer Hebrides in May 2020 during which I’d pop up Clisham but that break had to be put on hold for some time in the future. However, as Clisham was never planned to be my final Corbett, I wasn’t really wanting to hold off much longer hence the reason for a brief visit after lockdown rules eased and I was finally out of a level 3 area.

I had taken a week off work for some DIY work and hopefully a visit to Harris so was watching the medium term forecasts. I had ordered a set of lateral flow tests as it is requested that a test is taken on each of three days before and on the morning of intended departure to the isles – both were negative and duly reported to the NHS.

I set off just after 1000 on the Thursday morning for the near 240 mile drive to Uig on NW Skye. Nightmarish stop/start drive up the A82 Loch Lomond but still arrived well in time for the 1830 ferry to Tarbert on Harris. First on the ferry, last off the ferry – got my stuff ready and set off at 2030 for the largely uphill cycle towards the base of Clisham.

It had been quite some time since I’d been on a bike and I found the steeper uphill sections quite hard going. Nice evening if a little breezy.

Got to the layby from which Clisham can clearly be seen. Didn’t really want to leave the bike by the roadside so took it with me as I went over the lower, boggier sections until I found a suitable spot to set up the tent.

It rained on and off throughout the night – still raining at 0400 so I didn’t bother getting up to make breakfast until after 0500 by which time the weather was improving.

Left the tent up to dry and set off up towards Clisham

Initially there was no track but I did find traces of paths higher up

Local “standing stones”

Got to the summit – the trig pint is inside a large stone shelter so had to climb into it. Then wandered further NW to another cairn but the clag blew in and some light rain started.

Walked back to the trig shelter and waited for the rain to blow over. Was quite amazed to find that there was a 4G signal at the summit (photos are a mix of camera and phone camera). Still some clag blowing in at times.

Selfie

Eventually I set off to return to the tent. Saw some walkers in the distance heading up the SE ridge.

Puddock

Needless to say the clag had all blown away and it was a nice day by the time I was back at the tent – at least it was now largely dry

Although into the wind, the cycle back to Tarbert was easier than the outward leg

Back at Tarbert about three hours before the 1620 ferry was due to depart – wandered round Tarbert and visited the distillery to get a bottle of gin to take home with me. Good ferry trip back with the usual cacophony of vehicle alarms caused by the ferry motion. Bike and kit packed up and departed Uig at 1830 for the long drive home – much better trip back down with the A82 largely clear perhaps because of the England.v.Scotland match which I managed to catch on the radio.

Clisham 17-18jun2021.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Clisham - a brief visit

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:26 pm

Brief, but still a nice set of pictures
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Coop » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:04 pm

Handy, and cheers , as I'm up there next week.
I see you've left Quinaig for you're last 3 . Savour and enjoy - fantastic mountain. All the best and have a good day when you get on it.
May the views be with you
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby Sgurr » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:46 pm

At least coming off the ferry last you didn't get queues of traffic overtaking you on the pull up Clisham, In a car we have thought it was downright dangerous to bikes and indeed to ourselves as we needed to turn right but weren't quite sure where in the dark in an awful downpour going downhill after Clisham. Not exactly the most magical of camp sites, but good enough. Best of luck with the final run.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:43 pm

It's been years since I was on Harris and then I was more of a golfer than a walker so wouldn't have understood the pull of these hills.

Your photos look great, looks like after 30+ years I may have to go back!!
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Sunset tripper » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:10 pm

Great stuff rockhopper and good to see you back. A fair cycle up there from Tarbert. We took the car and did Clisham on a trip from Inverness to St. Kilda a few years ago. Apparantly you can see St. Kilda clearly from Clisham - we saw nothing. I hope to go back and do the horseshoe one day (on a nice day), as the quick up and down did it a disservice I believe.

All the best and enjoy Quinag. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Sgurr » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:46 pm

I saw St. Kilda clearly from one of the Grahams near Clisham. Alas, it turned out to be the Flannan Isle.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:19 pm

Still not visited Harris, but if anything would motivate me to do so, it would be these pics. Looks wonderful!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:05 pm

Cheers all :D

Coop wrote:I see you've left Quinag for you're last 3 . Savour and enjoy - fantastic mountain.
Sgurr wrote:Best of luck with the final run.
Sunset tripper wrote:All the best and enjoy Quinag. :D
Holding off for perfect weather - may be a long wait :roll:
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland