walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Chuaich

Meall Chuaich

Postby macq23 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:48 am

Route description: Meall Chuaich, Drumochter

Munros included on this walk: Meall Chuaich

Date walked: 01/08/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 15.7 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

MEALL CHUAICH

This was a strange one for me as it was my first hike starting from the A9. I was more worried about the car alarm going off by the cars/lorries speeding by than the rubbish weather!!
100_3861.JPG
layby 94

The starting point was the A9 layby 94 . From here onwards, it was a walk along beside the Aqueduct leading up to the Dam. Once we passed the Dam, we walked further on towards Loch Cuaich.
100_3865.JPG
On approach to Loch Cuaich
As we reached this, we took a right then a left up towards Stac Meall Chuaich. By this point the rain has fairly come on quite a bit. It was a nice walk up to Stac Meall Chaich with a great view of Loch Cuaich on the left. But the higher we went, the more the Loch dissapeared into the mists.
100_3873.JPG
Misty

Once we were nearly at Stac Meall Chuiach, it was another right turn and made tracks to Meall Chuiach. It was a fairly easy going walk up, nothing too difficult. Once at Meall Chuiach I was quite taken by the impressive Cairn.
100_3870.JPG
At Meall Chuaich
But unfortunately as we were just about to tuck into lunch, the heavens opened and the torrential downpour began :-(

We decided when going up, that it would be nice to have a walk around Loch Cuiach when coming back down. So we veered onto the right side of Stac Meall Chuiach going back down, which meant we had a good walk around the loch on the way back.
100_3878.JPG
Loch Chuaich appearing as we come down

Sights-seeing wise, the weather was pretty miserable so didn't see much, but it was a good simple walk and a Munro bagged. :-)
100_3883.JPG
Meall chuaich in the distance
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

macq23
Hill Bagger

Munros:52   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:6

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland