walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Broad Cairn - Sloppy snow & Sickness

Broad Cairn - Sloppy snow & Sickness

by ChrisW » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:06 pm

Munros included on this walk: Broad Cairn

Date walked: 21/03/2011

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 19.6 km

Ascent: 951m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Broad Cairn - Sloppy snow & Sickness

Postby PeteR » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:29 pm

Great report and great pictures. Looked like a great day out, despite the fall and the wind. Glad your ribs on the mend though. It certainly looked worth keeping going for the rest of the route. An area I think I'll be adding to my plans for the future

You have my sympathy on the hat front. I suffer in the same way as you I think, much to the amusement of my work colleagues when I get back to work :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Dirk_ » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey Chris

Come cracking clear pics there, one of my favourite areas of Aberdeenshire

Some pics below of Loch Muick & Broad Cairn 2 days before your visit

We were passed by a lassie on skies :o
DSCF1606.JPG

DSCF1597.JPG
Dirk_
Mountaineer

Munros:10   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby rockhopper » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:08 pm

Cracking report and photos Chris. You did well given the snow conditions and your leg. :D

Variable snow density and depth can be a real bummer especially when it takes you by surprise. The pictures are great though and a great reward for the effort. :thumbup:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby ChrisW » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:32 pm

andrewdoggett wrote:Great report and great pics looks stunning...

I had to look up where this was; part of the great Lochnagar 5 I'm saving for a days outing later in the year; looking forward to it all the more now with these pics - thanks; and well done; a good hike! :)

would like to do the 5 myself but it will be well into summer before I considered that !!
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby ChrisW » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:35 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:Fine day you had Chris,still to get up to this neck of the woods planning on visiting once most of the snow is gone,and do the full round,looking at your pics makes me more detemind than ever to visit as soon as possible

I'm sure this will be a great circuit when the snow has gone and with 5 munros in one go it has to be tempting for baggers :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby ChrisW » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:40 pm

PeteR wrote:Great report and great pictures. Looked like a great day out, despite the fall and the wind. Glad your ribs on the mend though. It certainly looked worth keeping going for the rest of the route. An area I think I'll be adding to my plans for the future

You have my sympathy on the hat front. I suffer in the same way as you I think, much to the amusement of my work colleagues when I get back to work :lol:

:lol: thanks PeteR I spent all my years in America wearing this big floppy hat to avoid the sun....reckon that's why all my hair fell out :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby ChrisW » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:42 pm

Dirk_ wrote:Hey Chris

Come cracking clear pics there, one of my favourite areas of Aberdeenshire

Some pics below of Loch Muick & Broad Cairn 2 days before your visit

We were passed by a lassie on skies :o

My favourite I think, are those pics from the 'Glen Esk' path?
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby ChrisW » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:47 pm

rockhopper wrote:Cracking report and photos Chris. You did well given the snow conditions and your leg. :D

Variable snow density and depth can be a real bummer especially when it takes you by surprise. The pictures are great though and a great reward for the effort. :thumbup:

Thanks rockhopper, it probably didn't help that I'd never been up there before so had no idea of the 'lay of the land' beneath the snow. The first couple of times disappearing up to the hips is funny but that soon wears off :( In all though I had a great day out and can't wait for another like it :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby kev_russ » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:08 am

Superb pics chris :)
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:79
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Border Reiver » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:15 am

I'm sure this will be a great circuit when the snow has gone and with 5 munros in one go it has to be tempting for baggers

You're right there, I did that circuit 18 years ago, going anti-clockwise, ( Lochnagar first ). It's about 18 miles and over 4,500 ft of ascent but it's very easy going once you get onto the tops.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby ChrisW » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:22 am

kev_russ wrote:Superb pics chris :)

Thanks kev_russ

Border Reiver wrote: I did that circuit 18 years ago, going anti-clockwise, ( Lochnagar first ). It's about 18 miles and over 4,500 ft of ascent but it's very easy going once you get onto the tops

That's it then....I'm doing it ......but not until that damn sloppy snow has gone....roll on summertime :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby Alastair S » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:55 am

Fab report and some really crackin' wide screen photos. Was that your first Munro? Congrats anyway, especially as you're coming back from a fairly major injury by the sounds of it.

And I wouldnt' worry about Neasmith - 20km in 7.5 hours is good going for those conditions. I did just 16km in 8 hours on Saturday (report in due course) and was fairly pleased with that (& I don't have a gammy leg). As a rule of thumb I go on 3 kph for summer & 2-2.5 kph for winter. It might not seem much but takes into account all the breaks you tend to make on route (esp if you're into your photos).
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby ChrisW » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:33 pm

Alastair S wrote:Fab report and some really crackin' wide screen photos. Was that your first Munro? Congrats anyway, especially as you're coming back from a fairly major injury by the sounds of it.

And I wouldnt' worry about Neasmith - 20km in 7.5 hours is good going for those conditions. I did just 16km in 8 hours on Saturday (report in due course) and was fairly pleased with that (& I don't have a gammy leg). As a rule of thumb I go on 3 kph for summer & 2-2.5 kph for winter. It might not seem much but takes into account all the breaks you tend to make on route (esp if you're into your photos).

Thanks Alastair - that was my first munro since 2006 and I loved it (before then I had wandered the Lake District and the hills north-west of Glasgow many times) not going to start recounting though as I'll be off to Canada by year end. I am just enjoying being out there again, even my little jaunt to Pressendye today was fantastic to me.

Glad to see the times you posted are similar to mine - some people on here seem to be up and down in remarkable times that I could never dream of achieving :shock:

I'll look out for your post from Saturday :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby pruney84 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:54 pm

Great report Chris really enjoyed reading, great photo's also it's clear to see why its one of your favourite areas!
pruney84
Mountaineer

Munros:42   Corbetts:1
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby ChrisW » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:42 pm

pruney84 wrote:Great report Chris really enjoyed reading, great photo's also it's clear to see why its one of your favourite areas!

Thanks pruney84, it is a great spot but the 6 mile single track leading to it often puts people off (not that I'm complaining) :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland