walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Broad Cairn - Sloppy snow & Sickness

Broad Cairn - Sloppy snow & Sickness

by ChrisW » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:06 pm

Munros included on this walk: Broad Cairn

Date walked: 21/03/2011

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 19.6 km

Ascent: 951m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Broad Cairn - Sloppy snow & Sickness

Postby macq23 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:23 am

Love the pictures Chris! I remember doing Broad Cairn from Glen Doll in 2007 and the snow was unbelievable! I constantly kept falling through the snow, knee deep and waist deep. It was extremely tiring!! But worth the effort! :-)
macq23
Hill Bagger

Munros:52   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:6

Postby ChrisW » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:52 am

macq23 wrote:Love the pictures Chris! I remember doing Broad Cairn from Glen Doll in 2007 and the snow was unbelievable! I constantly kept falling through the snow, knee deep and waist deep. It was extremely tiring!! But worth the effort! :-)

Thanks macq23 - the boulder up the ribcage certainly steadied my love of the snow :( but it was worth it :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Dirk_ » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:39 pm

ChrisW wrote:
Dirk_ wrote:Hey Chris

Come cracking clear pics there, one of my favourite areas of Aberdeenshire

Some pics below of Loch Muick & Broad Cairn 2 days before your visit

We were passed by a lassie on skies :o

My favourite I think, are those pics from the 'Glen Esk' path?

Hey Chris, Yeah the pics are from the Glen Clova path, 1st time we have been on it.

We were going to do the Lochnagar 5 again ( http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7193 ) but the weather wasn't on our side
Dirk_
Mountaineer

Munros:10   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby ChrisW » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:28 pm

Dirk_ wrote:Hey Chris, Yeah the pics are from the Glen Clova path, 1st time we have been on it.

We were going to do the Lochnagar 5 again ( http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7193 ) but the weather wasn't on our side

Thanks Dirk, clearly I don't know my 'esk' from my 'clova' - I've been told something like that before :lol: :lol:

Great report from your link, I really fancy doing the 5 when the snow has gone (unlike you maniacs who seem to prefer it) :shock:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland