walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Misty Law - thigh deep heather and a plague of flies

Misty Law - thigh deep heather and a plague of flies

Postby rob munbett » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:14 am

Date walked: 27/06/2021

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 5.3 km

Ascent: 290m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I fancied a quiet Sunday morning walk up a new hill but didn't want to travel far so I drove up through Lochwinnoch to the Muirshiel country park car park, where there was plenty of space. The weather was fine, if a bit humid and still. As I sat at the car putting on my boots, the flies descended: they were all over me - in my ears, eyes and all over my clothes. Not a pleasant start to the day - and the problem was that they swarmed around me from the car to the summit and back down again. It was impossible to get a deep breath as I ploughed up through the heather without getting a fly down my throat. I suppose we've all been out on the hills on such a day - I have before - but this was particularly bad. Anyway, I set off along the old mine track and crossed the bridge/sluice over the River Calder and backtracked to cross the Raith Burn as I had read in a recent report that it was best to go up the south side to the 4th tributary and get to the summit that was. As I looked up the hillside I was not exactly thrilled to see what lay ahead - lots of deep heather and bracken.
IMG_20210627_130433.jpg
Struggling up the south side of the Raith Burn
I tried to find some animal tracks to ease my passage but they were few and far between, I have to admit that progress was slow and I became pretty frustrated that I could not get a good stride going. At one point, I must confess that I nearly turned around as I was not enjoying any part of this 'walk'. It wasn't even a good idea to stop for a breather because as soon as I stopped, the flies were crawling all over me. However, I persevered and eventually the hill came into view and the terrain became a bit easier.
IMG_20210627_114705.jpg
Misty Law comes into view
Just below the final rise to the summit, there was a barbed wire fence. There wasn't a style but someone had wrapped some plastic round the top spikey strand. However, it was worn through and the barbs were showing. Fortunately, I found a rickety wooden gate 50 metres to the right and got over that. A final ascent on steepish grass got me to the summit cairn.
IMG_20210627_120948.jpg
Misty Law summit - Irish Law and Arran beyond
I stopped for a short time to see the views and wolf down half a cheese sandwich without getting too much extra fly-flavour (TMI?) Not much to say about the descent apart from saying that it was more heather-bashing but quicker than the ascent.
IMG_20210627_110729.jpg
Descending the heathery slopes
I didn't bother going back to the bridge over the Calder but crossed at a rocky linn and climbed the steep bank to reach the mine track just at the kissing gate where I met quite a few people waving their arms about and complaining about the flies. So, it wasn't just me!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland