walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vrackie

Ben Vrackie

Postby mband » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:12 pm

Route description: Ben Vrackie, near Pitlochry

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Vrackie

Date walked: 19/03/2011

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 710m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My friend had asked me to dog sit for her for the weekend in Pitlochry so I took the opportunity to have a walk up Ben Vrackie. Unfortunately the dog couldn't come with me as she is pregnant and the puppies are due soon.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The view of the hill from the bedroom window looked really inviting.

Ben Vrakie 002.JPG
Ben Vrackie from bedroom

Although there was a bit of cloud on the top when I left the house it soon cleared.

Ben Vrakie 003.JPG
Ben Vrackie

Passed Moulin Inn and up through the forest to the open hillside where the views of Ben Vrackie were better.

Ben Vrakie 004.JPG

Soon I was up to the snow line, there seemed quite a bit of snow on the way to the top and I could see people slowly making their way up a snow field to the right of the summit.

Ben Vrakie 006.JPG
Ben Vrackie and Loch a' Choire

Ben Vrakie 019.JPG

Ben Vrakie 010.JPG
Looking back towards Pitlochry

The walk up from Loch a' Choire was quite steep with the path covered in snow. I put on my microspikes which worked really well but I could see above there were a couple of snow fields to climb up and I was worried if they would be enough. There was a lot of people out on the hill and a couple of guys coming down said they had managed with just boots on although some people were wearing crampons. As I climbed up the snow field using steps others had made I could see evidence of bumslides, without an ice axe I didn't dare.

Ben Vrakie 011.JPG
Nearly there!

Ben Vrakie 017.JPG

Once at the top the views were great, although there was still a bit of high cloud you could see for miles.

Ben Vrakie 012.JPG
Looking towards Ben Chonzie

Ben Vrakie 014.JPG
Looking towards Beinn a' Ghlo

I then returned back the same route I missed out the extension round the loch and took the shorter route back home as I knew I still had to take the preggie dog out for a walk! A great day out.

OK Monty, I know it's not a munro but hopefully it does count as a hill :lol:
Attachments
Ben Vrakie 014.JPG
mband

Munros:210   Corbetts:41
Fionas:2   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:23

Re: Ben Vrackie

Postby PeteR » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:35 pm

Great report and some nice pictures. Looks like a good day out, especially with a bit of snow on the hill too :) Some nice views from the summit, even with the cloud about
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby ChrisW » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:24 pm

fantastic, looks like you had some spectacular views from the top...munro or not :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby dooterbang » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:27 pm

Nice report and pictures.

I really like this little walk.

Hope you enjoyed a beer in the Moulin Inn afterwards :)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland