walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Chapelgill Hill - new hill/new boots

Chapelgill Hill - new hill/new boots

Postby rob munbett » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:47 pm

Donalds included on this walk: Chapelgill Hill

Date walked: 29/06/2021

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10.7 km

Ascent: 670m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With a good forecast and new boots to try out, I decided to head south to Coulter to have a walk up Chapelgill Hill, a Donald I had seen but not climbed. I set off early to avoid the worst of the heat and parked at the usual place for Culter Fell. New boots time. It's always a concern that boots that feel fine in the shop and up and down the carpeted stairs at home wont feel so fine on the hills - but, thankfully, these seemed to work out pretty well.
My plan was to walk along the private road and go up (as suggested in the SMC book) the track beside Kings Beck and then up the steep hillside at the end. However, I met a very friendly and helpful farmer on the road who told me that the headwall was steep and had deep heather and it was far easier to follow the path on the north side of the Beck. This I did and was thankful when I saw the steep heather-clad headwall at the end of the Beck.
IMG_20210629_093443.jpg
Culter Fell from Tippet Knowe
My path, while steep in places, was really good and provided great views. I came over Tippet Knowe and headed for Kings Bank Head. I had to head a fair way south, away from the direction I wanted to go to avoid peat hags but soon crossed a fence and found an ATV track heading in my direction but still having swing east to avoid more hags. By now the heat was becoming oppressive, the flies buzzing constantly round my head and my right boot starting to rub my heel.
IMG_20210629_101149.jpg
Culter Fell from Kings Bank Head
chapelgill Pan.JPG
Chapelgill Hill from Kings Bank Head
I ploughed on towards another fence which headed up Chapelgill Hill. Again there was a track but again there were peat hags to negotiate. Soon though I reached a couple of cairns but the one at the angle of the fence was clearly higher. Despite the flies, I sat for a while to enjoy the stillness, the views and some grub.
IMG_20210629_105629.jpg
On the summit of Chapelgill Hill looking south towards Gathersnow Hill
It was baking hot now and I must admit that my energy levels were a bit sapped as I headed off the summit so plodding back across to Tippet Knowe with the beginnings of a painful blister on my right heel took longer that it should have. I sat here awhile, looking down my route of descent and having a final snack and taking on as much fluid as I had left.
IMG_20210629_120359_2.jpg
Descending the north side of Kings Beck
The walk down the track to the road was very easy and enjoyable - the walk along the road back to the car was less so. I could smell the tar melting and feel the heat of the road through the soles of my boots. Unfortunately, my car was in full sunlight - but the warm water that I had in the boot still tasted fine!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

Re: Chapelgill Hill - new hill/new boots

Postby apollo0815 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:58 pm

I had to think a moment to recognize that the water you were talking about in the end, was not in your boot, but the boot:)
apollo0815
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:4

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland