walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall na Teanga from Loch Arkaig

Meall na Teanga from Loch Arkaig

Postby smalltounboy » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:57 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall na Teanga

Date walked: 27/06/2021

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1117m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

In my quest to climb every munro individually (and by an alternative route) I set my sights on Meall na Teanga in Lochaber.
Meall na Teanga 01.jpg
Meall na Teanga from Gairlochy

I'd previously climbed Srón a' Choire Ghairbh from Kilfinnan with my club (Kilmarnock MC) a few years earlier but abandoned an attempt on Meall na Teanga due to poor weather. This gave me the opportunity to do it via a less trodden route from the west.
SRWS Warning.jpeg
Scottish rights of way society warning sign

I checked the OS map for a suitable route from the carpark at Eas Chai-aig waterfalls but couldn't find any that would get me through the commercial forestry plantation. I had a look in my Harvey's Munro's book, it showed a faint path through the forest that led off the hydro / forestry track at 220m.
Harvey - Meall na Teanga.jpg
Path visible on Harvey's map......

Satellite images of the area confirmed this.
Satelite - Meall na Teanga.jpg
.....also on satellite image

I set off from Eas Chai-aig waterfalls car park at the eastern end of Loch Arkaig, the path is easy to find and gains height quickly, at about 75m you pass through a large metal deer gate and onto the hydro track.
Eas Chai-aig waterfalls.JPEG
Eas Chai-aig waterfalls

The hydro track is a bit of a scar on the landscape but it beats fighting through dense commercial forestry.
Hydro track.jpeg
Hydro Track

Follow the hydro track till it joins the forestry track at 200m then continue up the glen for another ½km until you see a small cairn on the left hand side that marks the start of the ATV track
ATV track start.jpeg
Start of the ATV track through forestry

The ATV track through the forestry is easy going and gains height quickly.
Old bridge.jpeg
Stay off the old wooden bridges, ford the burn instead

After a kilometer or so you pop out of the forestry at a height of 360m and are greeted with views of the Ben and a glimpse of Loch Lochy
Top of forestry.jpeg
The Ben

The ATV track is faint but easy to follow, aim for Ruighe na Beinne at 645m, from here you get a good view of the route ahead over Meall Breac to Meall Odhar at 872m.
ATV track posts.jpeg
From Ruighe na Beinne the ATV track follows wooden stakes placed at 100m intervals

Upon reaching Meall Odhar you are greeted with grand views of Coire Odhar Mór and the hills to northwest.
Coire Odhar mór.jpeg
Coire Odhar Mór

Follow the path along the top of the corrie to the top of Meall Coire Lochain at 906m.
Looking over to Meall na Teanga.jpeg
Looking over to Meall na Teanga from Meall Odhar

The decent Meall Coire Lochain onto the ridge is a steep 100m drop, care is required.
Meall na teanga from Meall Coire Lochain.jpeg
Meall na Teanga from Meall Coire Lochain

However the climb onto Meall na Teanga is higher but easier going and you soon pop out onto the summit.
Grey Corries and the Ben.jpeg
The summit cairn with the Grey Corries and the Ben beyond

The summit of Meall na Teanga offers fantastic views of Lochaber, Knoydart, Kintail and beyond, if the conditions allow hang around a wee while and take it in.
Loch Quoich.jpeg
Loch Quoich to the north

From here you can continue over the hill into Cam Bealach (and over onto Srón a' Choire Ghairbh) or retrace your steps back onto Meall Coire Lochain, the climb back up should be easier than the decent you made a short while ago.
Scramble onto Meall Coire Lochain.jpg
The scramble onto Meall Coire Lochain

When at the top you can either retrace your steps back the way you came to the waterfall car park or follow a different route further south over Leac Chorrach towards Clunes (I was getting picked up).
Looking back to Meall Coire Lochain from Leac Chorrach.jpeg
Looking back to Meall Coire Lochain from Leac Chorrach

If you choose this route be careful on you decent, it is very steep.
Clunes.jpeg
Looking down onto Clunes

I was aiming for the top of a forestry track but somehow missed it and ended up descending through midge, bracken and bramble infested felled forestry, DO NOT follow my GPX track through the forestry
Missed track.png
Where I missed the forestry track!!

Meall-na-Teanga-from-Loch-Arkaig.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

smalltounboy
Stravaiging

Munros:127   Corbetts:9
Grahams:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:1

Re: Meall na Teanga from Loch Arkaig

Postby ere1 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:04 pm

DSCN4412.JPG
DSCN4417.JPG
DSCN4418.JPG
Hi Smalltounboy,

Thank you for your exciting contribution. In 2019, the same thing happened to me that happened to you. During my descent towards Clunes, I was looking for the forestry track, but could not find it. The only option was to climb down like a monkey, in a particularly steep area, as you call it ‘bracken and bramble infested felled forestry’. I managed to do it, but most certainly won’t do it again. :shock:
ere1
Walker

Munros:51   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:7

Postby gaffr » Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:37 am

I guess that things change over 40 years. Just looked into my notes for the two Munros here visited in August 1982. :)
From the parking path up Glen Cia-aig to Fedden....up Ston a'Choire Ghairbh..a little box perched on a stake to leave a note of your visit. Onto Meall na Teanga ...down a bit of Allt Ban then I guess a mixture of your ascent and descent routes used for your visit. Used most of the approach up the Glen for a visit to the two Corbetts many years later.
Nice days out in the hills.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Grahams:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby smalltounboy » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:25 pm

Thanks, despite over 20 years experience in the hills and I still managed to make a stupid mistake like that, I felt especially foolish as I'd made so much effort to find a way through the forestry on my ascent.

ere1 wrote:Hi Smalltounboy,
Thank you for your exciting contribution. In 2019, the same thing happened to me that happened to you. During my descent towards Clunes, I was looking for the forestry track, but could not find it. The only option was to climb down like a monkey, in a particularly steep area, as you call it ‘bracken and bramble infested felled forestry’. I managed to do it, but most certainly won’t do it again. :shock:
smalltounboy
Stravaiging

Munros:127   Corbetts:9
Grahams:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:1

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland