walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Western Fannich's - great summer's day, aye, right!

The Western Fannich's - great summer's day, aye, right!

Postby JimboJim » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:10 pm

Route description: Sgùrr nan Clach Geala, near Braemore

Munros included on this walk: An Coileachan, Meall a' Chrasgaidh, Sgùrr Breac, Sgùrr nan Clach Geala, Sgùrr nan Each

Date walked: 15/06/2021

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 26 km

Ascent: 1900m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

And so to the Western Fannich's after yesterdays storm. We enjoyed a few beers and some nice grub in the Aultguish Inn, happy in the knowledge tomorrow, couldn't be as bad as today, could it? :lol: Forecast actually showed it dry till 1pm, still whoora windy mind you. We reckoned we might at least make 3 dry Munro's if the weather was kind to us.
Western Fannichs (1).JPG
Big Jesper raring to go despite a hard night on the Talisker ;) The western, Western Fannich's, behind.
Western Fannichs (2).JPG
And old Jimbo. How conditions were to change!

Found the start point no bother and conditions didn't look too bad, with views of most of our hills, though perhaps sussing out first hill, might have been better than focussing on latter pair. We'd decided to do eastern, western one's first starting with Meall a' Chrasgaidh, then the western, western pair, if you know what I mean. The route in till past the bridge over the outflow of Loch a Bhraoin, was pretty much to plan, but thereafter we didn't do too well, totally missing the "smaller, boggy ATV track." Not concentrating lads! That said, it is pretty obscure, as we observed on our return.
Western Fannichs (3).JPG
Bridge over the outflow of Loch a' Bhraoin.
Western Fannichs (4).JPG
View out to An Teallach.
Western Fannichs (5).JPG
Sgurr Breac and A' Chailleach.
Western Fannichs (6).JPG
Across to some of the Fisherfield.

Anyway, sticking to the stalkers path we made good progress up the west side of the river, till gradually it clicked and we then crossed without much difficulty, onto the track on the other side. Had the river been in spate, it might have meant a long back-track. Our thinking now was that we were back on track, but of course, we were not and couldn't figure out why we were not seeing a cairn, or track, to indicate the course up Meall a' Chrasgaidh? Who was holding the route notes then? Who checked? Not me :) Had we done so, we might have noticed - "there is no path." :) Didn't stop me leading the boys a merry dance across the steep slopes in search of it :lol:
Western Fannichs (7).JPG
Big Jasper, not much impressed with Meall a' Chrasgaidh.

Oh, dear! I was then just praying that I had correctly put the right grid numbers onto our home printed map :crazy: Either way, we gradually figured out we were not going to find a path and struggled up the worst part of the gradient, till things eased off. The rest of the walk from there to the summit was much more pleasant and quite enjoyable. Having led the guys astray on the steep bit, I then had the honour of reaching the top first :) It was still reasonably clear, though I think it was about this stage another layer was called for.
Western Fannichs (8).JPG
Jaf and Andrew, summit of Ma'C. Sgurr Mor and Sgurr nan Clach Geala, beyond.
Western Fannichs (9).JPG
Inviting ridge up Sgurr nan Clach Geala.

The walk over to and up the ridge to the summit of Sgurr nan Clach Geala was also quite pleasant although the constant buffeting kept one on edge, on the bits near the edge! Nice views over to Sgùrr Mòr and into the corrie. Things still looked dry for a while, so we took a quick grub stop at the summit, then made for Sgurr nan Each. Spied the first walker, in fact, only walker between yesterday and today. Dumped our rucksacks at the bealach, Cadha na Guite.
Western Fannichs (10).JPG
Jaf, heading around Eagan Tuill Bhig.
Western Fannichs (11).JPG
Looking south to Loch Fannich - was going to say Looking down the Allt a' Choire Mhoir, but that is way too much to type!
Western Fannichs (12).JPG
Andrew, heading up the ridge, Sgurr Mor, at his back.
Western Fannichs (13).JPG
Across the other side of the Dirrie Mor, to Beinn Dearg hills.
Western Fannichs (14).JPG
Sgurr Morr, looking pretty impressive. Near got blown off it the previous day, which was not so impressive!
Western Fannichs (15).JPG
Some of the huge, sweeping crags.
Western Fannichs (16).JPG
Some of the ridge walk goes pretty near the edge. Wind much stronger here than it may look.
Western Fannichs (17).JPG
Jaf, first to the summit, SnCG, 1093m and fine hill, though the trig point could do with a freshen up :)
Western Fannichs (18).JPG
Across to Meall Gorm and An Coileachan, which we hardly saw yesterday.
Western Fannichs (19).JPG
Drouthy Jaf.
Western Fannichs (20).JPG
Across to the western pair. Think that's Slioch beyond.
Western Fannichs (21).JPG
Down to the motor.
Western Fannichs (22).JPG
Charles and Andrew, on SnCG. Sounds like a royal family day out :)

Subsequently bumped into this chap, who was doing the round in the oppo direction and had started off at half seven. Wise man! Just as we were getting to the summit of Sgurr nan Each, we felt the first innocent spits of rain. Exactly on time, 1pm! Just a few spits. It might take a while till it deteriorates? We didn't hang around to find out, but even by the time we were back at the rucksacks, we knew that was that! The deterioration was here. For once we correctly followed the route notes and I think it helped keeping a fairly high line, traversing right, avoiding descending too far into Fliuch Choire.
Western Fannichs (23).JPG
The way ahead to Sgurr nan Each, which seemed a lot lower, from up here.
Western Fannichs (24).JPG
Sgurr nan Each, 922m.
Western Fannichs (27).JPG
Jaf, with that effit look. He was right!

By now the wind must have been gusting upwards of 50mph and also raining quite heavily. Our assessement that it would be a long climb up from the bealach, up to Sgùrr Breac, was proved a considerable understatement. For me, it was just a case of head down, keep the wee legs pumping, one short step after another. Fortunately, the track was much clearer and easier to follow than I expected. Had we been relying on maps a lot, would have made life considerably more difficult.
Western Fannichs (25).JPG
Summit, No.3.
Western Fannichs (26).JPG
Rain, 1pm, as per schedule.
Western Fannichs (27a).jpg
Summit selfie, SnE.

Our next aim was to get to the top of Toman Coinich, where we planned to assess our possible route of descent. It was hard work just getting there and the summit, of A' Chailleach, shrouded in fog though it was, still appeared a long way off. We didn't deliberate much, if at all. Onwards, following Big Jasper, lead man for most of the day. It did indeed seem a long trek to Munro No.5, though am sure the fatigue of yesterday and gales today, were also a factor in that.
Western Fannichs (27b).jpg
No.5, A' Chailleach.

Finally, we found the summit in the fog. No time to celebrate, just get off there, out of the wind, hopefully. Finding the route over to Sròn na Goibhre, wasn't easy. Perhaps, could have missed it had we not spotted a fence post to lead us in the right direction. The walk along this ridge was a bit milder, but our hopes that the worst was by soon vanished. Our descent off that ridge, was pretty much hit or, a miss. Mostly miss, I think. Steep, awful ground on the whole, not helped by the equally awful weather which had resumed.

Again, we failed to follow route notes, when we ought to have crossed the burn high up, near the lochan. It was pretty boggy, awful ground on the west side of the Allt na Goibhre, till we finally crossed below a ravine and steeper waterfall. Alas, the ground remain splashy, down past the sheepfank, until at the lochside. The lochside is a bit splashy too, specially where the track detours into the loch 😁
Western Fannichs (27c).jpg
I think that means "5," not "help!"

Having been blown off my feet yesterday, it was but right that I repeat the act today, though in this case, I couldn't blame the weather. It was just a case of head down, trying to make good speed back to the car, when I slipped on large stones, doing a nice face-plant onto said boulders in the process. Fortunately, I had been able to partially break my fall, but still landed with a fair thump on my right cheek and eyebrow. I was pretty certain I would have been bleeding, but was surprisingly unscathed as Jaf and Andrew, came to my aid. I slowly got to my feet and gathered myself together. Wow, that was close. Well, I suppose if one is to fall, it is probably better near the motor, than miles from anywhere.

No more excitement as we made it back to the bridge and through the forest, as Big Jesper widened his stride just to ensure we made the trip in 8 hours. It wasn't long till we were back at Aultguish, enjoying all the comforts of home, especially the Goose Island and Talisker. It was a weary trio of lads who retired to bed that night!

Despite previous notions, none of us were enthusiastic of giving Am Faochagach a try, before our long trek back to Mid Argyll the following day. With all the rain there had been in last couple of days, the river may have been very tricky to cross anyway. For all that, we were all more than satisfied with having managed all the main Fannich's over the past two days, in some of the worst weather we have been out in. Summer?! Not as we know it.
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland