walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dunnottar Castle

Dunnottar Castle

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:50 pm

Route description: Dunnottar Castle, from Stonehaven

Date walked: 21/03/2011

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Last Monday we went to Aberdeen so I thought it was a good occasion to pop in to Stonehaven and spend a while in famous Dunnottar Castle. It may not be a grand walk, just a short stroll along the coast... Nevertheless, the scenery is stunning so I simply couldn't resist sharing a few pics of Dunnottar and whereabouts :D

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Apart from visiting the ruins (which is the best part of this short trip, will cost you a fiver per person and take about 2-3 hours to lurk around) one can walk along the cliffs to war memorial on the summit of Black Hill. From that point, there are good views in all directions. We were lucky to have nice weather that day :D :D :D Not much comment needed, I think - simply enjoy!
dunnottar castle 018.JPG
The first look at Dunnottar Castle

dunnottar castle 029.JPG
The path to the castle

dunnottar castle 034.JPG
Among the ruins

dunnottar castle 044.JPG
Small tower

dunnottar castle 101.JPG
Local tenants :)

dunnottar castle 295.JPG
The well - still full of water

dunnottar castle 207.JPG
Staircase to nowhere

dunnottar castle 282.JPG
Looking down from the window

dunnottar castle 312.JPG
Ruins in the shadows

dunnottar castle 345.JPG
On the rocky beach below the castle

dunnottar castle 385.JPG
Cliffs to the north

dunnottar castle 369.JPG
Dunnottar from the southern viewpoint

dunnottar castle 398.JPG
The castle seen from the coastal path to the war memorial

dunnottar castle 418.JPG
The war memorial

dunnottar castle 426.JPG
More cliffs...

dunnottar castle 430.JPG
Stonehaven
Last edited by BlackPanther on Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Re: Dunnottar Castle and whereabouts

Postby morag1 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:00 pm

Wow, beautiful pictures :thumbup:

In all the years i've been going to Aberdeen I've never been to Dunnottar castle :( mainly because i visit relatives in the city and Stonehaven is a fair drive away. However your pictures are making me think of stopping off there for an hour or so, especially in the summer :?:

Stonehaven also has an outdoor swimming pool, quite fancy a dip in there sometime, bit cold for a bikini though more like a wet suit :lol:
morag1

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:12 pm

Nice report. I love Dunnottar - it would be hard to invent a more spectacularly set ruined castle.

Stonehaven also has an outdoor swimming pool, quite fancy a dip in there sometime, bit cold for a bikini though more like a wet suit :lol:

I fancy it too - it's heated!
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Alastair S » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:30 pm

'Tis a spectacular site. I've been often but have yet to pay and see the grounds from the inside :lol:

In fact I was there on Saturday evening to try and gets some piccies of the supermoon-rise but clouds put paid to those plans. Might see what I can salvage and post this evening...
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby ChrisW » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:04 pm

Great pics, I love the walk to Dunnator from Stonehaven and have done it quite a few times now....but last time I was in Stonehaven it looked like this.......
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland