walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Geal Charn (Monadhliath)

Geal Charn (Monadhliath)

Postby andrewdoggett » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:52 pm

Route description: Geal Chàrn, Monadhliath

Munros included on this walk: Geal Chàrn (Monadhliath)

Date walked: 23/03/2011

Time taken: 3.2 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 681m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I felt like a wee jaunt to walk off the 29 km of Beinn Dearg from the day before, so thought the isolated hill of Geal Charn in the Monadhliath would fit the bill... The morning reflections in the lake caught my interest on route to Carva Bridge

Geal Charn 1.jpg

No one else at the car park so a chance to get a picture of my favourite toy with an uncluttered mountain backdrop

Geal Charn 2.jpg

The obligatory shot downstream to the Bridge of Carva

Geal Charn 3.jpg

Not much to say about this walk really; it's pleasant enough by the river, though quite boggy. The ascent up the shoulder of around 600 metres is over in no time. I saw all of the usual three; game birds aplenty; mountain hares; and deer...

The deer came out of the mist from nowhere; I must have startled them with my stealth in the mist; they trotted off timidly and quickly; I did spare a thought for the poor fellow who spotted the first deer; must have been a little scary; we're conditioned to know they'll run away now, so it's not quite the same...

Geal Charn 4.jpg

I was grateful for a spot of Whisky at the top; fairly cold today with a strong wind; so any excuse to warm up a touch

Geal Charn 5.jpg

The descent back to the Bridge of Carva; things starting to clear up just a touch... Met a lovely chap by the name of Tony Yates (I think) on the descent so paused for a wee chat; he was on his fifth circuit of the munros; some going; a colourful character with lots of stories to tell; I do like hill folk; salt of the earth I say :)

Geal Charn 6.jpg

The stats, a leisurely 13km jaunt in a little over three hours...

Geal Charn 7.jpg

And as usual, my tracks...

2011 - 03 - 23 - Geal Charn (Monadhliath).gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Re: Geal Charn (Monadhliath)

Postby ChrisW » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:45 pm

love the misty reflection in that first pic, but have to say if I had a car like that I would worry about it every time I walked away from it :shock:

like the last pic too, its got atmosphere :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland