walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lochnagar et al - 5 munros and 1 corbett

Lochnagar et al - 5 munros and 1 corbett

Postby gld73 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:36 am

Route description: White Mounth Munros, Glen Muick

Munros included on this walk: Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch, Càrn a' Choire Bhòidheach, Càrn an t-Sagairt Mòr, Lochnagar

Corbetts included on this walk: Conachcraig

Date walked: 28/06/2021

Time taken: 8.1 hours

Distance: 32.4 km

Ascent: 1600m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Got up early and was at the car park for 0830. Thought the fee was £3 but it's obviously gone up, £5 now (£10 for vans) so searching around in pockets and bags to eventually find enough change before setting off. Followed the WH route except did the easy detour up Conachcraig, seemed crazy not to add the corbett on to the route while I was there. Bit of wandering around to find bits of aircraft wreckage on Càrn an t-Sagairt Mòr (the most impressive crash site I've seen in terms of remaining aircraft parts). Brilliant conditions all the way round, clear paths nearly all the way. The long walk out on the track after Broad Cairn was tough on the legs by the end, but overall the route was surprisingly easy, didn't seem enough ascent/descent to be 5 different munros. A long walk, but technically easy on a clear day like this.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

APDC7999.JPG
Heading from Spittal of Glenmuick to the hills

APDC8000.JPG
Reaching the point to leave the track - Path heading down to the left is the one to Lochnager, but first I went up on a small path through the heather on the right to do the corbett, Conachcraig

APDC8002.JPG
View over to Lochnager, path visible

APDC8001.JPG
Wasn't sure which of the rocks counted as Conachcraig's true summit, so I went to a few!

APDC8003.JPG
Path to Lochnager, looking back at Conachcraig

APDC8004.JPG
Lochnager

APDC8005.JPG
Summit trig with view to Loch nan Eun and Carn a Choire Bhoidheach, the next munro

APDC8007.JPG
Summit viewfinder looking back towards Corrie of Lochnagar

APDC8008.JPG
Carn a' Choire Bhoidheach summit, view back to Lochnagar

APDC8009.JPG
View down to Dubh Loch as I headed to the 3rd munro

APDC8011.JPG
Vistited both cairns on the summit plateau of Carn an t-Saigart Mor

APDC8012.JPG
Lots of wreckage around from the 1956 RAF Canberra crash

APDC8013.JPG

APDC8014.JPG
This was the actual summit cairn I think

APDC8015.JPG

APDC8016.JPG

APDC8017.JPG

APDC8018.JPG

APDC8019.JPG
Cairn Bannoch summit

APDC8020.JPG
Broad Cairn summit with the view down to Loch Muick

APDC8021.JPG
Broad Cairn summit looking back over to Carn a'Choire Bhoidheach, the hill in the middle of the picture

APDC8023.JPG
South end of Loch Muick

APDC8025.JPG
The stunning setting of the lodge at Glas Allt Shiel

APDC8026.JPG
Reaching the top of the zig zags on the track on the long walk back alongside Loch Muick

gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Re: Lochnagar et al - 5 munros and 1 corbett

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:37 am

A great day for a great route! We must do the full round one day. For some strange reason, we never have. We climbed all Whitemounth hills (some more than once) but always used alternative approaches. We probably ended up doing twice as much ascent :lol: :lol:

Last year we re-visited Carn an t-Saigart Mor from Glen Callater, especially to photograph as much of the Canberra as we could find. There is a shocking amount of wreckage, many interesting parts are located away from the main paths so to find them you have to go off-piste. Large sections of the other wing, tail, more engine parts, even a wheel complete with a tyre:
2020-07-25 callater plane crash 217.JPG
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby gld73 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:18 pm

When I was up there and finding plane parts, I did think that you were bound to have been there before and found way more pieces than me :lol: I'm an amateur compared to you and Kevin!

(Your report on the Lancaster on Carn Icean Duibhe was interesting, never knew it was there, I'm going to give that approximate route a go sometime to see if I can find the site too. Popular parking places for munros etc are mobbed in good weather just now, I'm trying to stick to quieter, relatively local, places when I can!)
gld73

Postby Coop » Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:14 pm

Brilliant, well in G.
I didn't have a view on lochnagar but did on the other 4 so went back and did the Corbett and lochnagar again. Had fantastic views. love lochnagar
Great report 👏
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby gld73 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:10 pm

Coop wrote:Brilliant, well in G.
I didn't have a view on lochnagar but did on the other 4 so went back and did the Corbett and lochnagar again. Had fantastic views. love lochnagar
Great report 👏

Thanks - really enjoyed the walk, my first time going Lochnagar :D

I see you're on 275 munros now ... the end is in sight!! :thumbup:
gld73

Postby Coop » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:47 pm

gld73 wrote:
Coop wrote:Brilliant, well in G.
Great report 👏

Thanks - really enjoyed the walk, my first time going Lochnagar :D

I see you're on 275 munros now ... the end is in sight!! :thumbup:

It seems like a very distant pin prick of a light at the end of a very long tunnel just now.
Im thinking now of leaving knoydart till next spring or summer and spending 4 or 5 days over there to enjoy the last 3.
You're getting there as well
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland