walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lawers 7 from Invervar (including summit camp)

Ben Lawers 7 from Invervar (including summit camp)

Postby Kev R » Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:22 pm

Route description: Meall Greigh, Meall Garbh and An Stùc

Munros included on this walk: An Stùc, Meall Garbh (Ben Lawers), Meall Greigh

Date walked: 01/07/2021

Time taken: 14 hours

Distance: 33 km

Ascent: 2000m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was hoping to try and complete the Lawers 7 in one visit using a single car (and avoiding the long walk back along the road)

Looking around the various reports could see that WH user - garyoppolis had suggested an option to leave the car on the north side (thanks for the inspiration)

Chose to park at Invervar and thought that bringing a tent would allow a bit of flexibility on the walk.

MWIS had forecasted that there were going to be two days in a row without any wind or rain, so .....

Left home early and reached Invervar by 07:00. Geared up and set off through the initial farmland

IMG_6231.JPG
Starting to gain some height, views back to Invervar and over to Glen Lyon

The walk began with a steady plod up the steep hillside, choosing various grassy lines to avoid the heather

Eventually arrived up on to the ridge where I found the well worn path linking the summits.

Took the opportunity to drop off the rucksack and head up to the 1st Munro of the day

The early morning mist hadn't quite cleared yet, but just as I was about to leave a gap opened up allowing some views to Loch Tay

IMG_6234.JPG
Meall Greigh - Mist clearing

Set off to pick up the bag again and head for the next hill.

It was now approaching midday and the temperature was starting to rise. Made a detour off the track over to a stream to fill up the water supplies

Made it up onto the second Munro and got an appreciation of the fine route that lay ahead

IMG_6241.JPG
Meall Garbh summit - with An Stuc, and Ben Lawers coming up next

Set off down the other side and stopped for a breather to contemplate the An Stuc scramble.

Two other walkers were heading in the same direction so we agreed to leave a bit of a gap between us in case anything was disturbed and sent tumbling down the path.

PSX_20210702_154043.jpg
The An Stuc scramble

Continued on up the zig zag path with the heavy pack. Decided to keep the walking poles in the hands until further up

The path was really dry and it was relatively easy to ensure the footing was good before moving upwards.

A wee rest at a half way seat and could see the crux moves (rocky scramble section that lay ahead)

Poles away and steadily made sure of each move on the scramble.

Glad I chose this direction as it would have been a fairly tricky downclimb with an overnight bag.

Before I knew it, I was up on top enjoying the views over to Loch Tay

PSX_20210702_154907.jpg
An Stuc

Onwards to Ben Lawers with fine views back to An Stuc

PSX_20210702_154535.jpg
An Stuc and Lochan nan cat

Ben Lawers was probably the busiest hill of the day. Quick hello to walkers from the other directions and set off again

PSX_20210701_210023.jpg
Ben Lawers summit

Views over to the next target Beinn Ghlas

PSX_20210702_155439.jpg
Heading for Beinn Ghlas

Time was now approaching 4 o'clock and it felt like the day trip folks were all starting to head back to the car parks

PSX_20210702_155924.jpg
Beinn Ghlas summit looking over to the next target Meal Corranaich

Time to top up the water supplies again in prep for the overnight camp. Bit of a detour off the path to find the stream

Reach meall Corranaich, and the sky appears to be getting darker, but it doesn't come to anything

IMG_20210701_170344823_HDR.jpg
Meall Corranaich

Reach the final Munro and have the tent set up by about 6:30

PSX_20210702_161435.jpg
Fine views

Plenty hours of daylight left to make and enjoy a hot meal.

Enjoyed the sunset, sunrise and full night of clear skies.

At first light packed up, and made sure that I left no trace at the camp spot. Headed off down into the misty inversion that covered the glen.

A fantastic adventure in the Ben Lawers hills

PSX_20210702_162109.jpg

PSX_20210702_162510.jpg

15 miles to the camp, and 6 miles walking out

Track_LAWERS 7.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Kev R

Munros:111   

Re: Ben Lawers 7 from Invervar (including summit camp)

Postby reidc2 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:17 pm

Looks like a super trip and the photos are fantastic. These Munro’s are on the list and your report gives me the inspiration / confidence to do it. :clap:
reidc2

Munros:95   

Re: Ben Lawers 7 from Invervar (including summit camp)

Postby Kev R » Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:33 pm

reidc2 wrote:These Munro’s are on the list and your report gives me the inspiration / confidence to do it. :clap:

Thanks 👍 Hope you have a good adventure :)
Kev R

Munros:111   

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland