walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a'Chuallaich

Beinn a'Chuallaich

Postby colinwatson » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:24 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chuallaich

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Chuallaich

Date walked: 08/07/2021

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 1100m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A muggy and mainly overcast day for this walk.

I parked up on the road above Kinloch Rannoch, then started to make my way uphill through the fern, trying not to think about ticks too much! To lengthen the walk a little, I choose to make for the 743m top to the east of Meall nan Eun. From there, it is a short walk to Meal nan Eun and thence on to the Corbett. A great viewpoint, as you are slap bang in the middle of the country. On the top, it was a bit cooler and there were far fewer insects around.

I then made the walk out to Carn Fiaclach, which is a lovely little ridge and on down to the twin tops on Meall Dubh. Had I been sensible, I would have called it a day then but chose to go back via the 587m top. It was quite a sweaty last few minutes before I got there.

Schiehallion from 547.jpg
Schiehallion from Meall Dubh

Loch Rannoch.jpg
Loch Rannoch

Although there is a path marked just below the summit, it took a while to locate it and I managed to lose it again just before the main road. Once on the road, it was a straightforward walk back to the car, although the final section of road does involve some climbing.
colinwatson
Stravaiging

Munros:75   Corbetts:38
Fionas:44   Donalds:45
Sub 2000:48   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:5   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland