walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Chatelherault Country Park trails

Chatelherault Country Park trails

Postby cruachan06 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:49 pm

Route description: Chatelherault Country Park, near Hamilton

Date walked: 25/06/2021

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 7.5 km

Ascent: 228m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As I'm planning to do the WHW in September (work commitments, weather and Covid permitting!) I've been out recently doing my first few test walks to see how I feel, how long things take and try out my gear. I live in Ferniegair (have lived in Hamilton most of my life) so Chatelherault Country Park is an obvious place to start, with the Clyde Walkway next on my list.

Green Bridge Trail.

This trail is a 7.5km loop from the Hunting Lodge around the Avon Gorge, although was a bit longer (9.5km) for me as I walked in to the park from my house, so my distances are (roughly) the same as getting public transport to Chatelherault Station or the bus stops, all of which are right at the park entrance and I'm a further 5 minute walk away.

The trail begins behind the hunting lodge at a large open section of the gorge. This was extensively cut back in 2017 and all non-native trees removed, with the intention that the logging profits be used to rebuild the damaged White Bridge Trail (more on that later). The trail can be walked in either direction either by heading left through the trees on the upper path (the lower path on the near bank is the White Bridge Trail) or by crossing the Duke's Bridge towards Cadzow Castle and taking the far bank of the gorge.

For my first jaunt I took the near bank, which is a pleasant if slightly monotonous route along the side of Hamilton Golf Club. It's under trees almost all the way so you are shielded from rain or sun for the most part. It's also largely flat through this section, until you reach the top of the gorge and a descent down stairs to the Green Bridge over the Avon. A fairly steep ascent on the other side (paths only, no steps here) passes the route to Millheugh Steps in Larkhall (also more on that later) as you climb back to the top of the gorge. There are further paths along this route that connect to Quarter and Sunnyside. This side of the gorge is more open and so a bit more scenic, and passes the Cadzow Oaks and Earthworks, Divoty Glen, a viewpoint down the gorge with a Belvedere Bench and finally the ruins of Cadzow Castle as you return to the visitor centre via the Duke's Bridge. Turning left past Cadzow Castle leads on to the Duke's Monument trail which is a linear route exiting via Barncluith Road back to Hamilton, so a good extension if you want to get back to Hamilton town centre and rejoin public transport at the bus and train interchange (Hamilton Bus Station and Hamilton Central railway station).

White Bridge / Cadzow Oaks Trail (Approx 11km starting from park entrance)

This was my second jaunt and a better variation IMO. Take the lower path from behind the hunting lodge down to the river bank. Whilst a steep descent and an extra ascent back to the Green Bridge trail is required, it's much nicer walking along the river bank and there's a bit more to see. When you eventually reach a fork around 2km along the path, the closed White Bridge Trail is on your right. This is not maintained as the bridge was damaged in 2010 by falling trees and there have also been landslips along the path. The bridge can be reached with care (proceed at your own risk, the path is officially closed and not maintained but is also not fenced off) but is removed other than the stone pilings and girders and is fenced off to prevent crossing. Take care also on the far side of the gorge, as (see pictures for details) the signs that tell you it's closed look like they were done with marker pens rather than offical notices. As of my visit there is no indication of any start to repair work on the White Bridge.

Taking the left hand fork at this junction leads back to the Green Bridge trail. Take care here as the steps are very big and very slippy. At the top hang a right to continue around the gorge on the Green Bridge Trail, or the Cadzow Oaks Trail takes you left back along to the hunting lodge via the path next to the golf course.

Millheugh Steps Variation. (Approx 11.5km starting from park entrance)

As part of my training I decided to try my first hike with my proper pack on (a Berghaus Trailhead 65 2.0) loaded to around 8kg. Having never done anything with the pack on my cunning plan was to head along the Green Bridge path to just past the Green Bridge, then head up to Millheugh Steps. My sister lives near here so I could scrounge a lift home if I was struggling or just stop for a drink (which is what I did!).

The path from the Green Bridge Trail to Millheugh was quite overgrown when I did it, so single file walking is required and long trousers are advised due to some nettles and thorns. The path joins up with Sunnyside Road and crosses the Avon in to Millheugh (part of Larkhall) at the Applebank Inn, an excellent stopping point on a nice day as they have a beer garden at the front with views of the Avon and the weir under the bridge you just crossed. The Morgan Glen path is also accessible here, and on the bridge you can see the abandoned Broomhill Viaduct, reportedly Scotland's highest railway viaduct, that used to carry coal trains from the local mines.

From the Applebank I went to my sister's house and stopped for a drink, then carried on back up the hill towards Larkhall. You can rejoin the Argyle line here if you arrived by train, I walked back along the A72 in to Ferniegair to complete my loop and return home.
Attachments
IMG_20210627_162015.jpg
Weir at Millheugh Steps
IMG_20210627_162000.jpg
crossing the Avon at Millheugh Steps, Broomhill Viaduct visible in background
IMG_20210625_162059.jpg
Duke's Bridge
IMG_20210625_161602.jpg
Cadzow Oaks and Earth works
IMG_20210625_155911.jpg
view back up the gorge from the Belvedere Bench
IMG_20210625_155903.jpg
Belvedere Bench at view point
IMG_20210625_155145.jpg
White Bridge trail sign on the far side of the gorge.
IMG_20210625_151925.jpg
Path along side the golf course
IMG_20210625_145935.jpg
White Bridge ruins
IMG_20210625_143647.jpg
Path start behind the lodge, Duke's Bridge and Cadzow Castle visible
IMG_20210623_151958.jpg
View down river from the Green Bridge
IMG_20210623_151952.jpg
View upriver from the Green Bridge
IMG_20210625_143329.jpg
View from the lodge back towards Hamilton
IMG_20210625_143335.jpg
The Hunting Lodge
cruachan06
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Re: Chatelherault Country Park trails

Postby cruachan06 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:49 pm

As it was a gorgeous day today in Lanarkshire (sunny, clear skies, crisp air and very little wind) I tried another variation of this route today, adding in the Morgan Glen trails in Larkhall.

I started off crossing the Duke's Bridge and taking the far side of the gorge for a change, and then about half way down the descent to the Green Bridge (approx 5K in to the route) turned right up the steps towards Millheugh. Following the path along the banks of the Avon you come out at a bridge over the river near the Applebank Inn in Larkhall, and turn right in to Morgan Glen through the arch.

The path follows the Avon and crosses under Broomhill Viaduct before climbing steeply up to the level of the bridge. You then have the option to carry straight past the viaduct and back down, or turn right towards Larkhall. The path comes out behind Asda and is close to Larkhall station so there are lots of options for starting the path at any station from Hamilton (Follow the Duke's Monument trail in to Chatelherault), Chatelherault (at the park entrance) or Larkhall and head back the opposite way. I walked back down the main road again to Ferniegair and home.
Attachments
IMG_20220227_163733.jpg
Broomhill Viaduct
IMG_20220227_161511.jpg
Morgan Glen plaque
IMG_20220227_161400.jpg
Morgan Glen entrance
IMG_20220227_161045.jpg
Bridge over Powforth Burn
IMG_20220227_160712.jpg
Road bridge at Millheugh, Viaduct in the background
IMG_20220227_155848.jpg
Path alongside the Avon
cruachan06
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland