walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Half way there on Creag Pitridh

Half way there on Creag Pitridh

Postby gld73 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:56 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chlachair, Geal Chàrn & Creag Pitridh

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chlachair, Creag Pitridh, Geal chàrn (Laggan)

Date walked: 13/07/2021

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 26 km

Ascent: 1275m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Forecast was for early morning low cloud to lift, so I set off on the walk from the layby at 10.15am with the intention of doing the 3 munros, but with a back up plan to do the 2 grahams if the weather wasn't as good as forecast. Beinn a'Chlachair was cloudy most of the time I was doing the walk in but the other 2 were clear, so I stuck with doing the round of 3 munros, but anti-clockwise to give Beinn a'Chlachair time to clear. Worked out well doing Creag Pitridh first, Geal Charn second, stayed dry and clouds well above the summits. (Some sort of filming going on on the way back out on the track, multiple vehicles). Creag Pitridh was munro no.141, so the munro bagging half way point....
APDC8110.JPG
View down Lochan na h-Earba (Binnein Shuas on left, lower slopes of Creag Pitridh on right)

APDC8112.JPG
Creag Pitridh summit - NW to Binnein Shuas, the Creag Meagaidh munros hiding behind in the cloud

APDC8114.JPG
East to Geal Charn, the next summit

APDC8113.JPG
SW to Beinn a'Chlachair, last target for today

APDC8115.JPG
Good weather for Beinn a'Chlachair as I headed up Geal Charn (makes it look grassy here, hardly a stone or boulder in sight?!)

APDC8116.JPG
Geal Charn summit

APDC8117.JPG
Aonach Beag munros in sunshine behind Beinn a'Chlachair

APDC8118.JPG
From Beinn a'Chlachair's plateau/ridge, the view back to relatively little Creag Pitridh on the left and Geal Charn on the right

APDC8119.JPG
Beinn a'Chlachair summit to Aonach Beag hills

APDC8120.JPG
From the summit cairn looking back to the first 2 summits

APDC8121.JPG
Beinn a'Chlachair in summer mode by the time I was heading back to the car (camera crew vehicle visible)
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland