walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creag a'Chliabhain & Beinn Mheadhoin- gates in right places!

Creag a'Chliabhain & Beinn Mheadhoin- gates in right places!

Postby gld73 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:23 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Beinn Mheadhoin (Dunmaglass), Creag a' Chliabhain

Date walked: 08/07/2021

Time taken: 6.1 hours

Distance: 25 km

Ascent: 820m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As I couldn't face the A82 holiday traffic for a second day in a row, I decided to avoid the crowds and stick to somewhere with a short drive from home and on quiet roads. It's 2 years since I've done these hills, but I remember thinking I'd like to do Creag a'Chliabhain again, maybe taking another route for variation. Beinn Mheadhoin isn't as interesting a hill, though turns out it's had some changes since my last visit. I wanted a long walk even if I just wanted a short drive, so the route ended up as:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Parked at the road junction on the B851 near the wheelie bins (no longer a phonebox there despite what maps say) - there's room for 2 or 3 cars, but this is the 4th time I've done walks from there and have never seen another car there. Even if for some unfathomable reason it was full, parking back over the other side of the small bridge towards Inverness would be easy, the signed entrance to Dunmaglass windfarm there just joins up with the Dunmaglass estate road anyway.
APDC8075.JPG
Some of the walk in is along the windfarm access road, so very cycleable if you're that way inclined!

So the familiar walk down the estate road which the windfarm track merges on to, past the couple of houses with their barking dogs, through the open grazing areas, and then I decided to do Creag a'Chliabhain first and hence turned off the road on to a grassy path immediately before the bridge over the river (Beinn Mheadhoin directly ahead over the bridge at this point). The worn path through the field runs on or alongside the embankment to a stile, then around to a small bridge and through a reed-covered field on to the Conagleann track.
APDC8076.JPG
Got to the bridge with Beinn Mheadhoin directly ahead, but I turned right immediately before it, to go along beside the river

APDC8078.JPG
Beinn Mheadhoin across the river. The yellow sheep are ones which have probably just been bought or just about to be sold at auction, it makes them look good?! A bit like fake tan on bodybuilders apparently ...!

APDC8079.JPG
Creag a'Chliabhain in view. Heading along the marked path for walkers here.

APDC8080.JPG
Creag a'Chliabhain has steep sides going down to the loch, though is surprisingly flat and grassy on top

Even once I was on this track and heading towards the north end of the loch I hadn't decided what routes to take up and down the hill this time .... but when I got to the boathouse I saw how deep the bracken was on the way I'd initially head up the hill if going from this end (the way I'd come down last time in winter) and decided it looked too much of a tick-fest given how prolific the little sods are this year! So I opted to stay on the track and walk alongside the loch, past the stiles at the end of the loch where there's a route over the deer fence to head steeply up the hill's east side, and onwards along the glen to the south end of the hill. Through 2 gates took me on to an ATV track which heads relatively gently uphill from the south end, fading a bit into the heather in parts, but missing out deep bracken and always easy to find again. The track turns into a narrow path near the summit.
APDC8086.JPG
At the end of the loch, there are stiles to get over the deer fence if you want to head up this steep, quick route to the top, but I didn't fancy heading through the bracken at this time of year given how many ticks are around this year

APDC8081.JPG
I continued on down the glen to the southern end of Creag a'Chliabhain, where there are 2 gates to go through to access a track through the heather up the more gentle slopes on this side ATV track initially, then becoming a path, looking back down to the south here

APDC8082.JPG
Creag a'Chliabhain's summit cairn and the wide, long summit plateau

APDC8083.JPG
Looking west, down to Loch Mhor

The summit cairn is the obvious high spot on the ridge, which is surprisingly wide and grassy compared to how steep and rocky it looks from the Conagleann track. Last time I then walked the length of the top to descend down the north end, but this time I decided to take the track I'd seen on the map, heading down to the west and Loch Farraline, then continuing round to Easter Aberchalder, up past the artist's studio which I always see signed from the B862 but never visited, and back to the Conagleann track
APDC8084.JPG
View of Creag a'Chliabhain from the west side near Wester Aberchalder

APDC8085.JPG
Walking back along Conagleann, Creag a'Chliabhain on the left

APDC8089.JPG
Easy to cross here on boulders rather than walking back to the bridge

Back along the track retracing my earlier steps for this stretch alongside the loch, then instead of following the small sign for walkers back across the reedy field, I headed up towards the newish building (hydro or windfarm related), crossed the river easily on boulders, and rejoined the big windfarm track. Stayed on this for a short distance, the road splits with the main track branching right and the one skirting Beinn Mheadhoin branching left. This is where I discovered recent changes! It was around here I'd previously headed straight up open, steep, heather slopes to the summit, but this time there was a new deer fence - and another further up the hill. Turns out the enclosed area is a new tree plantation. Fortunately there was no need to clamber over the very new looking fences, as gates were provided at this point and I was able to head up the steep side after all, heading NE to the summit (marked by the smaller cairn).
APDC8092.JPG
The new deer fence is seen here, just up from the track which branched left from the main wind farm track

APDC8095.JPG
...but (looking back down here) the estate has put gates in the deer fences on both sides of the new plantation at about the place I headed up last time

APDC8097.JPG
From the west end of Beinn Mheadhoin's summit area I could see rain coming in over the other side of Creag a'Chliabain, but fortunately it didn't make it as far as me on this walk

APDC8098.JPG
The view of Dunmaglass wind farm from Beinn Mheadhoin. Not one of them was turning on this windless day.

I dithered over whether to descend the same way (too steep for my knees, but definitely gates to avoid climbing deer fences) or go down the less severe descent route to the south east (knee friendly, but gate and fence status unknown). I gambled on the latter ...and it was nice to get down this pleasant descent route and see the estate had put in gates at this side of the hill too, so no difficulties getting back to the track for the walk back to the car. Not sure what access will be like once trees are fully grown, but for now, it's still an easy hill to get up an down.
APDC8102.JPG
Gate at the first deer fence where I came down south east off the hill (another in the fence on the other side of the plantation in line with this one)

APDC8103.JPG
The plantation looks like it'll be a mix of trees, not just the usual pine trees for timber
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Re: Creag a'Chliabhain & Beinn Mheadhoin- gates in right pla

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:31 pm

We did a variation of this route a few years ago. Really loved Creag a'Chliabhain. I think the Dunmaglass Subs need some advertising :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby gld73 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:01 pm

BlackPanther wrote:We did a variation of this route a few years ago. Really loved Creag a'Chliabhain. I think the Dunmaglass Subs need some advertising :D

It is nice to have the option of enjoyable smaller hills close to home, especially when there are different routes that can be taken up them for variety. Creag a'Chliabhain and Beinn a'Bhacaidh are probably my 2 favourites of the south Loch Ness subs. I don't mind if they're not advertised though, it means there are still some quiet places I can get parked this summer :lol:
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:35 pm

Yes, it is getting mad in popular spots! We are planning a wild camping trip to the Fisherfields in a few days time and I'm worried we will struggle to find room for parking, the walkers car park in Poolewe is not very big! We decided to wait till Monday, it might be a bit quieter during the week. We also want to visit Ardgour to finish off the 6 remaining Corbetts. I'm hoping against all logic that Ardgour and Kingairloch are too remote for the beach brigade :lol: :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland