walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Splashing about in the Lammermuirs

Splashing about in the Lammermuirs

Postby thepigguy » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:33 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meikle Says Law

Date walked: 27/06/2021

Time taken: 3.25 hours

Distance: 9.78 km

Ascent: 315m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

What I did on my holidays - part 2

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I had a bit of family catching-up to do in Leith on the Sunday morning, but a free afternoon offered the chance for another leg-stretch, and after six hours in the car and a first new hill in months the previous day, a stretch was much-needed.

The Lammermuirs come as a bit of a surprise after the soft, rich farmland of East Lothian, but first impressions of a bleak, open moorland are at least partly dispelled when you realise they are a giant grouse moor with windmills surrounding them.

Nonetheless, Miekle Says Law made for a decent walk with the added bonus that (for the second consecutive day) I didn't see a soul.
msl1.jpg
The start

There's little to be said that hasn't already been said, although I'm glad I reversed the WH route and went clockwise. I chose that because I wanted to get the ford out of the way at the start. I'm not as agile or fit as I used to be so didn't want to risk a leap over the burn and opted for a boots-off paddle, thinking it would be the only one - which just shows how wrong you can be. The boots were to come off twice more.

msl2.jpg
Dropping down to Faseny Cottage

msl3.jpg
Faseny Cottage

msl4.jpg
First ford - refreshing!

With nice, clean feet I pressed on up the track, turning right onto a rougher track which became grassier and progressively fainter before petering out altogether a few hundred metres before the top. The path marked on the OS map is optimisitic at best, but on a decent day it's no bother heading straight over to the trig point to admire the views out to Edinburgh, the Bass Rock and hundreds of windmills. In poor weather picking out the return path on the WH route might be tricky.

msl5.jpg
Track

msl6.jpg
Rougher track

msl7.jpg
Grassy track

msl10.jpg
No more track

msl11.jpg
Teatime at the top

msl12.jpg
There's no getting away from these

The return route was easy - if you don't count a couple of paddles - although I could have done without the bit of uphill to the car right at the end.

msl13.jpg
Ford on the return route

msl14.jpg
More fords than Dagenham
Last edited by thepigguy on Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thepigguy
Walker

Munros:3   Corbetts:5
Fionas:10   Donalds:27+11
Sub 2000:68   Hewitts:5
Islands:24

Re: Splashing about in the Lammermuirs

Postby Tinto63 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:46 pm

Nice walk, but are all Orcadians really time travellers? Are the pictures really from 10 days in the future? :lol: :lol:
Tinto63
Wanderer

Munros:129   Corbetts:46
Fionas:38   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:30   

Re: Splashing about in the Lammermuirs

Postby thepigguy » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:25 pm

Well spotted! Edited. :D
thepigguy
Walker

Munros:3   Corbetts:5
Fionas:10   Donalds:27+11
Sub 2000:68   Hewitts:5
Islands:24

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland