walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blackcraig Hill near Dalry (short easy walk)

Blackcraig Hill near Dalry (short easy walk)

Postby axcelia » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:19 pm

Date walked: 11/03/2011

Time taken: 2 hours

Ascent: 406m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It soon won't be possible to do this walk any longer due to the fact that they are about to build 23 wind turbines on it and will be using the track I mention here :(. So if you want to do it, do it soon. It took me about 2 hours but I tend to pause a lot and take photos so it probably takes less than that.

The Walk Starts just off the A702 about 5 miles east of St John's Town of Dalry in Dumfries and Galloway if you are starting from the top track (there isn't much space to park so you may want to start at the lower track and join up with the track from one of the lower routes, The lower entrance is about 4.3 miles east of St John's Town of Dalry).
Both entrances are marked with a green forestry commission sign that says Corriedoo.

Most of this walk is very easy just follow the track.

When you get to the crossroads (there will be a small loch on your left) keep going straight on and up the hill.

The track winds round and up the hill and because the forestry trees have grown up so much now you won't get many opportunities for a view as you climb. There is one point a little bit past a small disused quarry where if you climb up to a small cairn half hidden in between some trees you will get a wonderful view across the local hills.

When you reach the end of the track look to your right and you will see a small trail running in between the trees.

Follow this trail and it will lead you to an old dyke (wall). If you follow the wall up you will eventually reach the OS trig point and you are at the top of the hill and you (if the weather permits) will be able to see for miles.
On a very clear day apparently you are able to see the Isle of Man (not sure if this one is true but you can definitely see quite far) I'm very sad that they are planning on building a wind farm here :(.
Attachments
corriedoo_15_by_axy_stock-d3bkzyu.jpg
View from part way up the hill
corriedoo_17___knocknan_by_axy_stock-d3bl09h.jpg
Taken at the top of the hill
sunbeam_02_by_axy_stock-d3bl2og.jpg
Taken at the Top of the Hill

gpxdata.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

axcelia
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Blackcraig Hill near Dalry (short easy walk)

Postby ChrisW » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:03 pm

looks a nice little walk...I'm sure the wind farm will kill that though :(
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland