walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mayar and Driesh

Mayar and Driesh

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:15 pm

Route description: Mayar and Driesh, Glen Clova

Munros included on this walk: Driesh, Mayar

Date walked: 11/06/2021

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The drive from Forfar was pleasant, with rising anticipation as I crossed the Vale of Strathmore on a maze of (well signposted) minor roads, and then entered the increasingly impressive trench of Glen Clova, with tantalising glimpses of the higher hills ahead. Glen Doll car park and information centre is a first-class facility, and the daily parking charge of £2 would probably be £10+ if this was in the English Lake District.

The Scorrie towered high above Glen Doll.

ImageUntitled by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The approach walk through the woods was very enjoyable.

ImageIMG_7081 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

At this stage, there was a promise (mostly unfulfilled, as it turned out) of a sunny day.

Ice-split boulder alongside the path.

The track through the trees gained height effortlessly, and then entered the imposing portals of Corrie Fee alongside a beautiful stream.

Craig Rennet was one of the most impressive of the many crags surrounding the corrie.

There were many fine scenes all around.

The tree-clad crags. A couple of walkers in the bottom right corner give scale to the scene. Even the less continuous crags would, I imagine, provide fine winter climbing in a cold spell.

Looking back down the corrie, with its glacial moraines.

A closer view of the crags.

The path ingeniously avoids all the steepest places, and it was a delight to follow it, as it wound its way up the back wall of the corrie.

The main waterfall.

A closer view - one of the falls visible through a natural tunnel.

Another view down into Corrie Fee.

A side view of the falls from a higher section of the path.

ImageIMG_7135 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The path emerged onto the undulating floor of a shallow hanging valley above the corrie.

The hanging valley has some fine waterfalls of its own.

A last look back to the crags.

Above here, an easy uphill walk led me to the cairn on Mayar, where the wide horizons were a sudden contrast after the the close-up scenery of my ascent route. The most prominent hill in the distance is I think Cat Law, and Backwater Reservoir is visible over on the right.

Other summit views. This is a squall approaching across the plateau from the direction of Glen Shee. The skyline is, I think, Creag Leacach, Glas Maol and Cairn of Claise.

ImageIMG_7158 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

A sunnier view south-west across the ridges of South Craig and Bawhelps, with Mount Blair prominent in the distance.

Bad weather on the White Mounth.

The route onwards to Driesh.

ImageIMG_7156 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The cloud moved in, and showers fell as I walked along the ridge. But the rain petered out as I walked up the eroded section on Little Driesh. Five minutes later I was at the summit, which gave a wide view to the south.

Sunshine on lower Glen Prosen. At the time I prosaically assumed the odd-shaped tower above the distant trees was some kind of telecoms construction. Later, I realised that it's the Gothic extravaganza of the Airlie Monument.

ImageIMG_7162 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The squall returned and had a last blast at me as I descended to the bealach, then the sun came out as I started to descend the path into Corrie Kilbo alongside the Shank of Drumfollow.

Driesh and Little Driesh from the Corrie Kilbo path.

Lower down, the path entered the forest. Among the branches I spotted what might have been a crossbill, but I didn't manage to get a photo. From the edge of the trees there was a last view back up the corrie.

The Burn of Kilbo.

After descending through some woods, the path emerged in a bleak, clear-felled area, where these boulders made an odd sight.

I liked the way that the boulders' outline paralleled the skyline. However they did seem a bit starkly alien without the usual coatings of lichens and moss. Have they been sand-blasted?

A few surviving trees among the carnage. Although the Forestry Commission have done good work in Glen Doll, it would be even nicer, I think, if they could introduce more mixed woodland and a higher proportion of native species. I found this area a great contrast to the magical scenes I saw in Coire Ardair on Creag Meagaidh, following the last few years' regeneration of the native woodland there.

Craig Mellon from the edge of the felled area.

The White Water among the trees.

The Scorrie now in shadow, from Acharn Farm

ImageIMG_7199 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

A last look back up the glen, from the road near the Glen Clova Hotel.

ImageIMG_7201 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Early morning the next day. It's not the Glen Doll forest, it's taken from the window of my room at the Travelodge in Dundee.

HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland