walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Couternach, Mount Keen, an eclipse and the "Blue Door"

Couternach, Mount Keen, an eclipse and the "Blue Door"

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:14 pm

Route description: Mount Keen from Glen Esk

Munros included on this walk: Mount Keen

Date walked: 10/06/2021

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I am a kind of accidental Munro bagger. I am working my way through the list of Munros in a desultory style, without much expectation of ever reaching the end.

When I get the chance to visit Scotland, I mix Munro walks with lower-level routes, depending on the weather, the state of my knees, and whether the pub is open. It's the journey that matters, not the objective.

For me, living in England, the great thing about the list of Munros is that it takes me to parts of Scotland I might never have seen. Not every Munro is a spectacular peak, but I like the variety, and the rolling eastern landscape is just as attractive to me as the dramatic hills of the west. The especial charm of the east, I think, is often the approach walks along the glens.

This was very much the case when I walked up Couternach and Mount Keen, on my first visit to Scotland since 2019.

View from the road westwards into Glen Esk.

ImageUntitled by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

There were in fact many finer scenes along the Glen Esk road, but if I'd stopped to photograph them, it would have been afternoon before I reached the car park. As it was, I'd parked up by around 10am. Although it was mid week, the car park is clearly the centre for a variety of walks and sights, and it was quite busy. The first thing to look out for is of course the old Kirk.

Beyond the Kirk, it is impossible to lose the way. There are several different signs, all pointing to Mount Keen and Queen's Well: this was the most attractive.

The guinea fowl at House of Mark were on their morning coffee break.

Pastoral scenes on the early part of the walk.

There was a beautiful gradual transition from the gentle scenery around House of Mark to the wilder upper glen. This area was alive with the calls of curlews.

ImageIMG_6986 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6987 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

According to the map, this area of the hillside is called Gilfumman. But not by many, I suspect.

It put me in mind of some of the names I'd spotted north of Glen Esk, when I was thinking of a walk to Mount Battock -

Bonnyfleeces
Bawd's Bush
Whig's Meadow
Shank of Matthew
Tough's Market
Torrnaflossie
Gruiggal of Dye
Hill of Remora (a place where remoras still cling on...?)

A sliver of sunlight lit up the Queen's Well.

The well. I decided to have my picnic here.

As I sat eating my sandwiches, something made me look overhead. There was a thinning of the dense clouds - and the sun, with a bite out of it. Staying at my guest house, I'd been immune to any news this week - I'd not been aware an eclipse was due!

This was the second time I'd been surprised by an eclipse. Years ago when training for a South American climbing trip by walking up the Malverns at 5am with a heavy rucksack, I turned around and saw the rising sun appear, partially eclipsed.

The sun was quickly buried in thick cloud again, and I set off for the rest of the walk. Beyond Glenmark Cottage, the path started to rise, and I crossed a stream, with views all around.

ImageIMG_7051 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Upper Glen Mark - it looked more rugged than I'd expected.

ImageIMG_7053 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Higher up, I left the path and made my way up to the summit of Couternach. I'd noticed this hill's position on the map, jutting out like a high promontory above the glen. Despite its lack of coverage in other Walkhighlands reports, I thought it would be a good viewpoint. I was right.

Looking back down Glen Mark.

Carlochy, with dipping lines of strata in the corrie.

ImageIMG_7039 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Looking into the upper glen. A study of the map later showed that the Water of Mark winds into the hills much further than I could see - there are headwaters only a few miles from both Loch Muick and Glen Clova.

A closer view of the Water of Mark.

Looking from the top of Couternach to the main track, and Mount Keen. Even though it was a cloudy day in mid-week, several walkers can be seen on the track.

Back on the track - Mount Keen and a fleeting glimpse of blue sky.

After that, there was not a lot to take photos of. The cloud closed in, and it was simply a matter of following the constructed track in the mist, up the gradual slope to the top.

I will add into this report a little about the lower part of Glen Esk, and the "Blue Door" walk. I did this on another day, but it feels right to make it part of this TR. The Blue Door walk is part of a WH route (https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/angus/edzell.shtml). However, I just parked at the door, and did the lower section, not even reaching the Rocks of Solitude (which are also signposted from the Glen Esk road).

But, this lower walk was truly magical. A highlight for me was watching the salmon, which could be seen even at the very bottom of the deep river, due to the clear water.

ImageIMG_6883 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6863 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6829 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

After that short walk, I visited House of Dun and its fine gardens...

ImageIMG_6885 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The old Kirk at Dun...

Lunan Bay and the Red Castle...

ImageIMG_6935 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6924 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Arbroath - Abbey and harbour...

ImageIMG_6945 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6949 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

St Vigeans (the Pictish Stones museum was closed)

Balgavies Loch and lots of wildfowl

HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Re: Couternach, Mount Keen, an eclipse and the "Blue Door"

Postby Sgurr » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:47 pm

I have walked Mount Keen three times and you managed to extract more from the surroundings than I did in all my outings. Maybe there is a lot to be said for going solo, something I only did when I was near enough the beginning of my walking career to be scared of loosing my way. Interesting stuff, but by now (Can You Give Me a P Bob) I should know that you gather and retain a whole lot of that.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Re: Couternach, Mount Keen, an eclipse and the "Blue Door"

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:41 pm

Sgurr wrote:I have walked Mount Keen three times and you managed to extract more from the surroundings than I did in all my outings. Maybe there is a lot to be said for going solo, something I only did when I was near enough the beginning of my walking career to be scared of loosing my way. Interesting stuff, but by now (Can You Give Me a P Bob) I should know that you gather and retain a whole lot of that.

That's very kind Sgurr! - I'm sure we both find a lot in our surroundings!

Living so far away (and exiled for so long by Covid) I certainly relished my chance to explore Glen Esk, Glen Clova and other areas of Angus - a wonderful part of the world!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland