walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Geal-charn Mor

Geal-charn Mor

Postby litljortindan » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:22 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Geal-charn Mòr

Date walked: 17/07/2021

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 600m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Pollen and stronger wind to the east and south plus cloud and wind to the west and north meant I was looking for an easy walk somewhere in the middle of the country. Geal-charn Mor seemed to fit the bill.

The first 2km is through and/or beside some pleasant woodland.

A hoose and Fiacaill ridge catch the eye.

And there's a view of the Duke of Gordon monument with Sgoran Dubh Mor and Sgor Gaoith behind.

Meall a' Bhuachaille to the east.

The broad track makes for easy progress. In fact it only feels like any sort of effort to ascend because of the steady but modest headwind. I don't mind that at all though as it is no doubt keeping off all of those blood thirsty winged creatures that might otherwise be helping themselves to breakfast.

Cloud starting to dip a bit to the east.

The view opens up a lot at around the 700m contour where the summit path branches off from the Burma Road. View of Ben Rinnes.

One or two hares dotted about.

Rinnes again.

Meall a' Bhuachaille again from near the gate and stile just before the summit. Possibly one of the highest gate and stile combos in Scotland? The only other one that springs to mind is on Mount Battock but I am sure there are many more.

It felt like a good bit of exercise to get to the top, the only annoying thing being a slight tightness in my right hamstring.

Had a wee wander round the perimeter of the summit area as there was interesting cloud blowing in from the west plus a view of Creag Dhubh. No, the view of Creag Dhubh didn't blow in but you know what I mean.

The summit wind was probably at around the top end of the 20-25mph forecast and for me that was also at the upper end of what I find enjoyable. Used to like a a bit of a challenge from the wind but not any more.

I'd find it difficult to put into words why I like this scene so much but give me a tangle of cloud, shadow and peak over clear blue skies any time, well most times.

Not sure who this is.

Sat and watched the cloud for a bit before heading back down. Was passed by a runner on their way up and down. They seemed to be going at a fair pace. I wondered how long it would take me to fall flat on my face if I tried to do the same.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland