walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Road to the Isles Part 1

Road to the Isles Part 1

Postby mband » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:49 pm

Date walked: 01/07/1981

Distance: 38 km

Ascent: 830m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkers: Mags and dad, Jim, Margaret, Fiona and Scot

Day 1: Rannoch to Luibeilt, 27k
Overnight luibeilt bothy 2 nights
Day 2: Luibeilt to Glen Nevis, 11k

The idea for this walk came from Jim who had seen the footpath sign "The Road to the Isles" on the road to Rannoch station pointing into the hills. I'm sure he would also have known the traditional Scottish song which describes the route from Tummel to Isle of Lewis. Today, looking on the internet the Road to the Isles is usually described as the car drive from Fort William to Mallaig. The route described here is the route we must have taken although I don't remember it exactly.

RttI2.jpg
Start: Dad, me, Margaret, Jim; Scot Fiona

I can't remember if at the age of 15 I was keen to join the group or if didn't have a choice! I certainly wasn't aware of what it entailed - 27k on the first day with packs! Although we didn't have to carry tents as we were stopping at Luibeilt bothy Jim insisted on sharing out a couple of pounds of potatoes and mince between us, none of that dehydrated stuff for us! I was an outdoorsy sort of girl but I certainly hadn't done any serious walking before.

The first day we were dropped off at the start on the side of the road a couple of miles short of Rannoch station. We then headed into the hills towards Loch Ossian. I remember that by the time we had reached the hostel at Loch Ossian I really questioned why we couldn't have booked in there instead of continuing a further 11k or so. And when I heard we could have got the train there! I suppose that's not quite the idea of hill walking.

We continued on to stay 2 nights in Luibeilt bothy. As I say I don't remember too much but I do remember that it was a long day and it was great to reach to the bothy and get the tatties pealed. The following day dad and Jim may have gone off to do some nearby hills but I stayed with the girls at the bothy. We had a lovely sunny day and managed a swim in the Abhainn Rath. Really a beautiful place and it was great to be right in the middle of the hills with no roads or noise nearby.

RttI 1.jpg
Ben Nevis from Luibeilt bothy

My brother had recommended reading the bothy's visitors book as there was an interesting story written by a couple of guys who had stayed in the bothy. They had decided to use horses to get into the bothy rather than walk and the first entry they were congratulating themselves for their great idea. The horses had worked hard and taken them into the bothy. However..... there was another entry a couple of days later. This was the guys back to retrieve their saddles and gear. Previously after their breakfast they had decided to un-hobble the horses and let them stretch their legs before heading back out. Of course the inevitable happened and the horses disappeared over the hills! They had spent the next couple of days chasing after them until they eventually caught up. They then had to walk back into the bothy and carry out their saddles and all their gear. Not sure if they used their horses again!

We of course added our accounts to the bothy book - I wonder if it is still there?

After a day spent relaxing we then walked out to Glen Nevis. Not such a long day. Again it must have been lovely weather as I remember reaching Glen Nevis and seeing people who had walked up the glen sitting about enjoying picnics beside the river. We of course messed about crossing the wire bridge before heading down to be picked up at the car park. I've always loved that walk up Glen Nevis to the wire bridge since then, a nice little walk to take visitors from overseas although the midges nearly sent my Australian friends insane.

Road to the Isles Day 1 Rannoch to Luibelt.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Road to the Isles Day 2 Luibelt to Glen Nevis.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

mband

Munros:210   Corbetts:41
Fionas:2   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:23

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland