walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Broad Law - up, down and back to town

Broad Law - up, down and back to town

Postby thepigguy » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:03 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Broad Law

Donalds included on this walk: Broad Law

Date walked: 28/06/2021

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 7.66 km

Ascent: 410m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

What I did on my holidays - part 3

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

With a couple of subs under my belt the previous two days as warm-up, I decided it was time to blow the dust off Percy Donald's list of Lowland hills and try something a little more challenging (but not too challenging).

Broad Law is the highest Southern Uplands hill to the east of the M74 and the ideal walk would include another couple of summits around it. However, I was mindful of my (at best) only moderate fitness and a promise to be back in Leith at lunchtime, so I kept it simple.

Dodging the worst of the Edinburgh traffic with an early start I was at the Megget Stone (parking for a couple of cars), pulling on the boots and applying the Skin So Soft at 8.30am.

broadlaw1.jpg
Early morning at Talla Reservoir

broadlaw2.jpg
Parking spot by the Megget Stone

The high start is a big bonus, of course, but the climb up to Fans Law was enough to get to get the heart pumping and the lungs blowing. The ground evened out and then got steeper again going up to Cairn Law so there were plenty of stops to admire the views opening up of the neighbouring hills, as well as an attempt to stop wheezing quite so much!

broadlaw3.jpg
Looking back to the car, Nickies Knowe and Lochcraig Head provide the backdrop

broadlaw4.jpg
On the way up to Cairn Law

broadlaw5.jpg
Carlavin Hill, Garelet Dod, Erie Hill, Lairds Cleuch Rig and Garelet Hill

broadlaw6.jpg
Looking over to the Shepherd's Cairn

After Cairn Law the going got much easier and it became an enjoyable ramble on short grass all the way to the summit and the nearby air traffic control thingy.

broadlaw7.jpg
Easy going up to Broad Law

broadlaw8.jpg
Summit, looking west

The weather was pleasant, if a bit overcast so I wandered around trying to get some decent pictures in the haze and had a cup of tea before setting off back down the other side of the fence - more short grass and vague ATV tracks - with a vague notion to add Talla Cleuch Head to the walk.

broadlaw10.jpg
Heading down - an afternoon with a mower and a heavy roller and you could play cricket on this

As I got nearer to the point where the deer fence guides you out west, I realised time was not my friend and I'd be pushing my luck to get back to Leith for lunch. So Talla Cleuch Head was filed away for a short morning or afternoon in the future and I wandered over to the large Shepherd's Cairn for more tea and a bit of breakfast before cutting back across to the path and the simple way back to the car.

broadlaw11.jpg
Talla Cleuch Head - reluctantly left out of the morning's fun.

broadlaw12.jpg
Breakfast stop at the Shepherd's cairn - an excellent viewpoint

broadlaw13.jpg
Nickies Knowe, Lochcraig Head, Molls Cleuch Dod and Carlavin Hill
thepigguy
Walker

Munros:3   Corbetts:5
Fionas:10   Donalds:27+11
Sub 2000:68   Hewitts:5
Islands:24

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland