walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stac na Cathaig and the mystery of the locked gate

Stac na Cathaig and the mystery of the locked gate

Postby dogplodder » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:59 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Stac na Cathaig

Date walked: 14/04/2021

Distance: 5 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Back in 1975 nine of us spent a fortnight's holiday overlooking Loch Ruthven, courtesy of my parents. The self catering house we stayed in was Tullich Lodge, which I'm happy to say is still there.

Tullich Lodge as it is in 2021
IMG_1104c.JPG

Apart from my mum, we all climbed Stac Gorm that holiday, including our one year old on Pete's back, and I've been up it again a few times since. But it stuck in my mind my dad had also climbed the hill behind the house, Stac na Cathaig, which I didn't, and as the years went on and my dad long gone I wanted to climb it. So last May, when covid restrictions were easing, Pete and I went for a dog walk up the track as a recce for when I could do it properly.

Loch a' Choire, May 2020
IMG_20200705_144007602.jpg

A week or two later I was back with Moira, this time to climb the hill, but we were met by a locked gate which a local said was closed due to covid. We returned in the autumn, when most places had opened up, but found it locked again, could have climbed it but decided we had better not, if it was locked with intention of keeping folk out.

Then in March this year I saw that Jaxter and Malky had climbed the hill and found out from them the gate only looks like it's padlocked but can be opened. So off I went again, this time in company of three of the grandsons out for a morning jolly. :D

We parked in the usual spot tucked in at the side of the entrance to the gate just a bit past Tullich Lodge and overlooking Loch Ruthven.

Stac Gorm and Loch Ruthven from near where we parked
IMG_1103.JPG

Three sons of the one year old we took up Stac Gorm
IMG_1061c.JPG

Following the track up towards forest and locked gate
IMG_1064c.JPG

Loch a' Choire
IMG_1065c.JPG

After passing Loch a' Choire there is a junction in the track, the left fork contouring the hill round to Loch Duntelchaig and the right towards the locked gate which had previously stopped us in our tracks. But this time we planned to get through it, one way or another. :wink:

Josh trying to figure out how to open the locked gate
IMG_1066c.JPG

The gate still seemed to be padlocked and however much we fiddled with it we couldn't get it to open. So climbing the wooden fence was our next option, as long as we could find a way to get the dog through. There was just about enough space under the gate, then we found we could open the gate enough to get her through - and with rucksacks off we all managed to squeeze through after her - so no need for any fence climbing. :thumbup:

I've read of a few routes up Stac na Cathaig but the most direct is probably Jaxter's (thanks Jaxter!) which is to shimmy up the side of the fence we'd just come through - and I suspect a few others had the same idea as there's a makeshift bridge to show the way.

Keira looking across makeshift bridge
IMG_1067c.JPG

Keira isn't keen on bridges and will always look for an alternative which in this case was easy.

Finlay demonstrating how to cross makeshift bridge
IMG_1068c.JPG

We followed the fence, dodging conifer branches and a few muddy patches until we reached a fire break where we turned up to the right.

Climbing the fire break
IMG_1069c.JPG

There was no path but it was easy walking over low heather and higher up no problem to find a way along the edge of the established trees to avoid the young trees planted.

IMG_1070c.JPG

View down the fire break
IMG_1072c.JPG

Once out in the open there was a bit more ascent over heather and rock which then levelled out on the first top of Stac na Cathaig.

IMG_1073c.JPG

A bit of descent and reascent to reach the rocky summit (cairn above Jonny's head)
IMG_1081c.JPG

Finlay and Josh already there :wave:
IMG_1082.JPG

Plus the dog
IMG_1083.JPG

For a small hill the views are pretty impressive. You can see why this area is known as the Trossachs of the North.

West over Loch Duntelchaig to Strathfarrars
IMG_1079c.JPG

South over Loch a' Choire to Stratherrick
IMG_1080c.JPG

Zoomed to radio mast on Tom Bailgeann and Loch Lochy hills beyond
IMG_1085c.JPG

West over lochs and hidden trench of Loch Ness to Abriachan
IMG_1086c.JPG

North over Loch Ashie to Ben Wyvis
IMG_1087c.JPG

North to Inverness and Moray Firth
IMG_1088c.JPG

For variety on the descent we walked east to find another fire break to give a different way back to the track. But it was rough underfoot and since we were only out for a quick morning dander we aborted that and returned to the fire break we had come up. Better the devil you know. :angel:

Left turn at corner of fence
IMG_1093.JPG

Squeezing down the side of the fence
IMG_1096c.JPG

Back at the locked gate Josh and Finlay led the way through the gap. Once we were all through Josh found by fiddling with it, the padlock opened, which if we'd discovered that earlier could have twice saved an old granny's dignity! :lol:

How we did it
IMG_1097.JPG

Loch a' Choire ahead
IMG_1099c.JPG

A most enjoyable walk
IMG_1101c.JPG

Thanks to my dad for planting the idea. Don't know why it took me so long! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Stac na Cathaig and the mystery of the locked gate

Postby shredder » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:51 pm

Surprisingly good views from that hill.

Must get up there some time. 8)
shredder
Walker

Munros:7   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:22

Re: Stac na Cathaig and the mystery of the locked gate

Postby dogplodder » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:04 pm

shredder wrote:Surprisingly good views from that hill.

Must get up there some time. 8)

A nice wee hill and worth getting through that gate. :wink:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland