walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Corbett correction - Carn Liath -> Creag an Dail Beag

Corbett correction - Carn Liath -> Creag an Dail Beag

Postby Gordon Ballantyne » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:26 pm

Date walked: 20/07/2021

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 800m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The re-assignment of the NW top of Carn Liath as the corbett had blind-sided these old buddies.
I'd done Carn Liath in 2010 and had bagged the centre top, whilst GordonC had bagged the South top, both believing we'd done it.
GordonC had gone back to bag the centre top last week, diligently visiting all the plooks around it, to find that on his return that the NW top of Creag an Dail Bheag had been designated the corbett after a height re-survey had added a metre or so to it.
OK, so we decided on Monday that remedial action was needed to avoid un-ticking this corbett.
Tues morn, with the bikes loaded on GordonC's braw car rack, we cruised up Deeside to the Keiloch car park.
The parking meter wouldn't take any of GC's money - so free parking today - a good omen !
Felt a bit of a rat for not bringing Harvey, but it was forecast hot and it seemed unsporting to make him run all the way while we watched him peching from the comfort of our bikes. And it's a faily long way to gallop.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

GordonC took me up by the stables which set off all the keeper's dogs barking around us. The gradient was more gentle this way which meant we could mostly cycle. After a bit of pedalling and peching, we reached the path leaving the track to the W.

A lounge on the way up the track to Carn Liath.JPG
A lounge by the track on the way up to Carn Liath

Parked the bikes round the corner out of sight. Also noticed that the shooting hut that I'd left my bike in back in 2010 had been removed.
Trundled off up a path which wasn't so well defined back in 2010 when I was last here.
Luckily there was quite a bit of cloud coverage which meant we were shielded from the sun until near the top. At the cairn, we looked across to Creag an Dail Bheag to the NW and were convinced that it was lower than the top we were on.

Looking over to Culardoch from Carn Liath.jpg
Looking over to Culardoch from Carn Liath central top

However, we ignored the optical illusion and after parking my bag set off towards it.

Off to bag Creag an Dail Bheag.JPG
GordonB setting off towards Creag an Dail Bheag

After a few humps and bumps we arrived at the cairn on a craggy outcrop.
Ben A'an towered above us with its tors prominent. We then took out pics and set off back to Carn Liath centre top for luncheon.

Carn an Dail Bheag with Ben Aan behind.jpg
Creag an Dail Bheag with Ben A'an behind

This time we did it..JPG
This time we did it !

Stretched out in the occasional sunshine soaking in the views to Lochnagar and the Braemar hills. Can't understand why the TV is full of people these days "discovering " how theraputic the countryside is, when rural communities have known this for centuries !
Spotted patches of snow on Ben A'an ( on the S side even ) and Lochnagar, so declared global warming at an end.......
then headed back dow to the bikes.

Taking a breather back at the bikes.JPG
Taking a breather back at the bikes

Got about a third of the way the way down the track on the bikes when I heard a sharp bang from my front tyre. Managed to stop without falling off.
Set about repairing the puncture. Fortunately we didn't need any water to find the leak as it was a clearly visible blowout.
Dug out the repair kit and fixed it with GC's help. Eagle-eye GC spotted an imperfect repair elsehere on the tube, so we patched that too - to be sure, to be sure !.
Resumed our schuss back to the car - punctuated by GordonC's chain coming off - which he sorted himself and caught up with me, so that we swooped back down the more direct steeper track to arrive back at the car perfectly synchronised.

What a day.......... Warm, but not too hot with occasional cooling breeze to disperse the flies that had located us.
Checked that our tick for Carn Liath on WH was still there - Job done !
Gordon Ballantyne
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:89
Grahams:20   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:59   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland