walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Eighe 'Mountain Trail'

Ben Eighe 'Mountain Trail'

Postby The Mighty Midge » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:49 am

Route description: Mountain Trail, Beinn Eighe NNR

Date walked: 26/03/2011

Time taken: 2.5 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It wasnt a particularly nice day, with only a 10% chance of cloud free munros according to MWIS. So we settled for the mountain trail on Ben Eighe on the off chance we might get some good views of the ridge.
BEWARE! This route, although nicely constructed in parts, is really not for the faint hearted. The majority of the way is very steep and although you only climb to 560m it is tough going. If the rock is wet, like it was today, the quartzite is almost like ice. There was much staggering, swearing and bum-shuffling. Just as well we had the route to ourselves. En route my camera decided to give up on life, much to my distress, and so i was left with the iPhone for piccies. Hence the crap quality.

Slioch looking rather prime.
IMG_0196.JPG

IMG_0197.JPG

Aye they're nae kidding.
IMG_0234.JPG

Some nice waterfalls as you walk through the pines.
IMG_0231.JPG

IMG_0226.JPG

Going gets a bit steeper out of the woods. About as nice as it looks!
IMG_0224.JPG

The aptly titled 'Lunar Loch'
IMG_0207.JPG

A camera can never do this sort of setting justice.
IMG_0213.JPG

IMG_0216.JPG

IMG_0217.JPG

The dreaded clag. Leg it!
IMG_0218.JPG
The Mighty Midge
Rambler

Munros:29   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Ben Eighe 'Mountain Trail'

Postby IainG » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:17 am

Nice photos 8)

It's a great walk and fairly taxing for what is a sort of a 'visitor' route. I was up there at the tail end of last summer and I found picking my way through the broken rock and scree up towards the conservation cairn a bit tricky. The circular route in clear weather is cracking with some nice view.

Definitely worth a trip back on a clear day.
IainG
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:11
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Postby ChrisW » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:06 pm

looks a cracking walk, I'll save it for when the dreaded clag is lurking elsewhere......
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby NevJB » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:17 pm

It's a wonderful walk - did this with my wife in 2008 to celebrate our 30th Anniversary, albeit 2 years late! It's not a stroll in the park, but on the right day the views are stupendous.

Bein-Eighe_1.jpg
What a view!

Nev&Nett_Mt-Trail-Summit2.jpg
Taken by a German guy up there with his son [who did a very good impression of Gollum clambering up the rocks].

Great memories!
NevJB
Walker

Munros:55   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:13   

Postby Scott69 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:13 pm

Did this last year on a day when the weather was a bit much to do anything bigger,thought the route was fine though perhaps a little long for the tourist walker.Left the trail near the Lunar Loch and headed up the Corbett Meall a' Ghiubhais then back down and took the trail back out.

Have a pic of me looking happy in the shelter cairn.
8)
Highland hols 139.jpg
Scott69
Munro compleatist

Munros:254   Corbetts:46
Fionas:8   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:3   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland