walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Trio - Beinn Mhor, Beinn Choradail and Hecla

Trio - Beinn Mhor, Beinn Choradail and Hecla

Postby ochutchinson » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:43 pm

Route description: Beinn Mhòr and Hecla, South Uist

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Mhór (Uist)

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Beinn Corradail (South Uist), Thacla (South Uist)

Date walked: 09/07/2021

Distance: 18.75 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Gorgeous day with clear visibility for it. I had a hard time finding the starting point as it's not a clear road on Google and I didn't have good information going in - but heading North, it's a right hand turn over a cow grate after two forested sections, and there were a few places to park the car after I passed the farm on the rough road.

It was boggy going for a bit but it was clear where to aim - although of course I was annoyed at myself as a few times I discovered there had been a trail about 20 feet to my left that of course isn't visible unless you're on it, and the trail peters out and resurfaces a few times. But once you're climbing you don't really need any direction other than "up". The island really opens up beautifully as soon as you get any height at all, so even though the heights on South and North Uist aren't all that impressive, it's easy to feel like you're much higher than you are with everything spread out below you.

beinn mohr1.jpg
on my way to the summit

I was already a bit nervous about being able to do all 3 so I debated whether or not I really wanted to go all the way to the summit on Beinn Mhor but I'm glad I did, as the view seemed to change every 30 feet or so and I finally saw the sheep whose "evidence" I'd been spotting all the way up.

beinn mohr2.jpg
beinn mohr looking over at Hecla

Quite windy and a few wispy clouds moving over it, but still amazing visibility.

beinn mohr3.jpg
summit shot

I bucked up and decided that yes, I was going to do all 3, and headed down the col. I did end up having to do some steep descents, and rather wished I'd had something for scale as Beinn Choradail is massive when you're looking at it but not all that impressive-looking in photos.

A bit fiddly path-finding as you have to head way further East than I'd assumed, but the large solo boulder is a good marker. I turned my head and only noticed the red deer because of the silhouette against the ocean - he abled off right after so it's only by the grace of luck I got a photo, as I wouldn't have been able to see him against the hillside. The camouflage is no joke!

beinn mohr4.jpg
stag

I was being roundly scolded by some kind of bird as I summited, so I suspect there were nests nearby. Finding my way to Hecla was initially surprising as the trail drops off VERY steeply in a bit of scree and I might have let out a nervous giggle or several as I found my way down.

beinn choradail.jpg
beinn choradail

Lots of backtracking as I'd try to avoid the tarns and then have to go back to get on the 'path' as I made my way to Hecla. Unfortunately I didn't actually end up summiting Hecla, as I was relying on OS Maps on my phone (I know, I KNOW! No scolding necessary, I do know to use proper maps but had gotten too keen that morning and figured it was fine) and was rather low on battery at this point, and with the reported magnetic anomaly on Hecla wanted to make sure I had enough battery to steer me through the bog. Disappointed but this was absolutely the right call, as once I was back down in the bog it wasn't as easy to see my car to aim back at and there was a lot of thankless slogging along. Thankfully it wasn't too wet, but I had several blisters by this point and morale was low.

I eventually found my way back as my battery died and unfortunately my blisters were bad enough that I was confined to small strolls for a few days afterwards, but I had worked up enough of a sweat to deserve my swim.

No midges but quite a lot of horseflies in the lower sections where there wasn't any wind, and they absolutely can bite you through your leggings.
ochutchinson
Rambler

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland