walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bidean nam Bian and Stob Coire Sgreamhach - What a Day!!

Bidean nam Bian and Stob Coire Sgreamhach - What a Day!!

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:04 pm

Route description: Bidean nam Bian

Munros included on this walk: Bidean nam Bian, Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Date walked: 22/07/2021

Time taken: 8.2 hours

Distance: 14.5 km

Ascent: 1381m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

For the last four years I've been quite content with doing my long distance trails along with some days out in the hills where I've done a number of repeat Munros (mainly in the Grampians) along with some new Corbetts, Grahams and Donalds but recently I have been thinking about taking on some new Munros.

My last "new" Munro was Ben Nevis in May 2017 so it had been a while but the recent weather seemed too good an opportunity to let it slip by and I chose Glencoe as my destination and these two hills as my targets for the day.

On the early morning drive through I stopped off at Crianlarich to spray all my exposed skin in an attempt to be one step ahead of the midgies at the car park. No doubt this would just annoy them and they would teach me a lesson but worth a try. I was beyond Bridge of Orchy before the cloud started to shift from the upper slopes of the hills so hopefully good timing. I was parked up and walking for around 07:15am and things were looking good.

The forecast for the day was for it to be very warm with little in the way of a breeze. I hoped starting reasonably early I would have cooler conditions for the initial climb but it was warm from the start and the climb up into Coire nan Lochan was fairly slow going.On the plus side the views were stunning and there were decent bits of shade to be had as I headed up towards the waterfalls.

The attachment $matches[2] is no longer available

1.JPG
The start - looking pretty steep!

2.JPG
Looking back at the A82 and the car park

3.JPG
A good path making life easier

Eventually I reached the point where I could cross the burn (next to no flow so just dry boulders). I was expecting things to get a bit easier at this point but I found the next bit of climbing the hardest of the day. As the path left the route of the burn the gradient was easy but then it turned back towards SCnL and got fairly steep for what seemed like an age but in reality was just a few minutes. Now I was in a flatish grassy area below SCnL and it was here I met the two figures that had been in the distance since the start so stopped and chatted to them for a few minutes before carrying on with the climb.

4.JPG
Stob Coire nan Lochan ahead

A further ten minutes of easier walking took me to the point where the climb of the upper section of SCnL starts and the views across to Loch Leven and Ballachulish appear for the first time. More importantly, there was a gentle breeze blowing so the stuffiness of the initial climb was gone, at least for now.

5.JPG
Looking back towards the road

6.JPG
South buttress of SCnL

7.JPG
Being watched

With the breeze cooling me down I now felt a lot better and climbed the boulder fields of SCnL fairly easily with just a couple fo stops to look around and take in the views.

8.JPG
Zoomed Ben Nevis

9.JPG
Loch Leven

11.JPG
SCnL

12.JPG
Great views in all directions

13.JPG
The top of SCnL

From the upper reaches of SCnL I could now see the climb ahead of me to reach my 1st Munro of the day - Bidean nam Bian.

14.JPG
Bidean nam Bian

It looked pretty close and fairly steep iin places but first there was an easy descent of SCnL and a good path taking me straight on to Bidean nam Bian.Before starting the climb, I had a good look over at the descent route at Bealach Dearg and first impressions were that it woud be slow and tricky. The climb of Bidean nam Bian was OK, a couple of places where the obvious route was a bit eroded and I had to do a little scrambling but the top was reached fairly quickly.

15.JPG
View over to Stob Coire Sgreamhach and the descent route off Bealach Dearg

16.JPG
Looking back to the drop off SCnL

17.JPG
Bidean Nam Bian

18.JPG
Looking back to SCnL from the ascent of Bidean Nam Bian

At the summit of Bidean nam Bian I had my first proper stop of the day and whilst there I met John who appeared at the summit a quarter of an hour after me. We got chatting and ended up completing the walk together.

The route over to Stob Coire Sgreamhach is obvious (on a day like today) and the drop down to Bealach Dearg is straight forward enough.

19.JPG
Looking towards Stob Coire Sgreamhach

20.JPG
Towards Loch Etive

21.JPG
The odd bit of cloud over to Stob Coire Sgreamhach

We stopped at the bealach to look at the descent route, tricky but do-able seemed to be the shared view. John had a touch of cramp just after this and we agreed that I would carry on to the top and he would give it a few minuted before following on. The climb of Stob Coire Sgreamhach was straight forward compared to the first two climbs of the day and I settled down at the summit to have something to eat and admire the views, after a few minutes John arrived to join me.

22.JPG
Looking over to SCnL

23.JPG
The descent of Bidean nam Bian

24.JPG
The climb up Stob Coire Sgreamhach from Bealach Dearg

25.JPG
SCnL and Bidean nam Bian from the summit of Stob Coire Sgreamhach

26.JPG
Looking down Loch Etive

A ten minute descent and we were down at the bealach arriving at the same time as the two girls I had met much earlier in the day and a solo walker that John had also met earlier so as a group of five we descended slowly. The first part of the descent is badly eroded and mainly compacted dry earth, I chose to go to the right here and descend using the rocks before heading back to the rough path once the worst of the erdod section was passed. From here there was a lot of scree and it was just a case of planting one foot at a time and feeling secure before moving down. At a couple of points I had to bum slide down steep short descents and looking back everyone else seemed to be doing the same so not just me. After a few minutes the gradient eased and a well made path with some stone steps came in to play so the worst was over but it was still a very slow and warm descent to eventually reach the lost valley. On the way we stopped where the path crossed anther burn and found some faster flowing water to drink.

27.JPG
The view to the Lost Valley

28.JPG
And again

29.JPG
Looking back at the descent route

Having read all the history surrounding the Lost Valley it was good to finally see it and walk through it but god knows how they managed to get cattle in there :shock: :clap: :shock:

Surprisingly we still had a breeze but it was noticeably warmer now that we were of the tops and sheltered.

30.JPG
The Lost Valley

32.JPG
One final look back as we leave the Lost Valley

As we were leaving the Lost Valley I managed to hurt my cartilage in my left leg by misjudging a step on uneven ground so that resulted in a few seconds of pain then it thanlkfully cleared and I continued. A bit frustrating, this is a foottball injury from when I was 21 and it's been a few years since I last hurt it. I was to go on and jar it a second time but not as painfully.

Once out of the Lost Valley we followed the path round the lower slopes of Beinn Fhada and descended down through the woods to cross the burn.I had read previous reports where some had just walked through the burn as the stepping stones were under water but that was never an issue on this walk. After the burn crossing, the track was a bit rougher than I expected but after a few minutes things iimproved and there were a lot more people around. We were held up a few times on the descent but I don't think either of us minded as we were both tired.

We continued to descend through the woods and eventually crossed the bridge over the River Coe and this was quickly followed by a steep metal staircase which proved to be harder work than it really should have been.We could now see the car park ahead of us and in a few minutes we were back at our baking cars.

33.JPG
View from near the car parks

A fine walk and great company for the second half of the day. After a gap of four years I couldn't have chosen two better Munros to turn from red to blue balloons With the car temperature at 28.5 all that was left was a 3 hour drive followed by some serious rehydration of the Stella A variety.

Happy days......................
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Bidean nam Bian and Stob Coire Sgreamhach - What a Day!!

Postby rockhopper » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:59 pm

"What a day" right enough - great conditions in which to be up high in Glencoe.
Worth the four year wait for new Munros - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby past my sell by date » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:33 am

Great report and pics - but for me amazing to see these North facing corries without any snow. it used to hang around right thru the summer, and the direct route into the head of the "lost Corrie" always involved an exciting few steps down thru the cornice :) and then a pleasant snow descent often right into the corrie floor - none of this ghastly scree :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby winglessrain » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:28 pm

Sounds like you had a grand day for these two hills. Bidean nam Bian (and all its numerous peaks) is one of my absolute favourite hills :) Nice to see some recent pictures.
winglessrain

Munros:132   Corbetts:12
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:20   
Islands:6

Postby Johnny Bell » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:07 am

Thoroughly enjoyed the day Gordon. Bit of a long hot trek down to and through the Lost Valley but the views and weather could not be bettered. Enjoyed my Irn Bru at the Green Wellie shop on the way home.
Johnny Bell
Hill Bagger

Munros:132   

Postby litljortindan » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:21 pm

Very nice and sounds like you managed to evade the midges.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby denfinella » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:55 pm

Very nice - and I can be sure of that because we did the same route, but about two hours behind you! The shade on the way up, and the unexpected breeze for most of the rest of the route was extremely welcome.

As for your paltry 28°C on the car... ours read (an obviously incorrect) 38°C when we returned :shock:

One of my favourite hill days to date.
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby jayedubya73 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:51 am

Loved reading your report. I did this walk 2-3 weeks ago on a very similar day. It was one of my favourite walks, an epic route. Thank you for sharing!
jayedubya73
Hill Bagger

Munros:231   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:12+6
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Graeme D » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:43 pm

Excellent stuff Gordie and on a day that was probably hot enough to melt your boots! Glad you mentuioned the poast walk rehydration routine - very important that! I did these two years ago and have no photos or TR for them so as I slowly but surely approach the latter stages of the Munro journey, I will one day soon return to them to put that right!
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:09 pm

rockhopper wrote:"What a day" right enough - great conditions in which to be up high in Glencoe.
Worth the four year wait for new Munros - cheers :)

Hopefully I can shorten the gap to my next new Munros RH!!

past my sell by date wrote:Great report and pics - but for me amazing to see these North facing corries without any snow. it used to hang around right thru the summer, and the direct route into the head of the "lost Corrie" always involved an exciting few steps down thru the cornice :) and then a pleasant snow descent often right into the corrie floor - none of this ghastly scree :lol:

There was one small bit of snow on a north facing buttress of Stob Coire nan Lochan - not sure if it will be there much longer though.

winglessrain wrote:Sounds like you had a grand day for these two hills. Bidean nam Bian (and all its numerous peaks) is one of my absolute favourite hills :) Nice to see some recent pictures.

I can well understand why this is one of your favourite hills - probably one of my favourites as well now.

Johnny Bell wrote:Thoroughly enjoyed the day Gordon. Bit of a long hot trek down to and through the Lost Valley but the views and weather could not be bettered. Enjoyed my Irn Bru at the Green Wellie shop on the way home.

Hi John - in that heat I think I found the descent as hard as the ascent. It's the first time I can remember stopping for a rest on the way down :shock: After you pulled in at Tyndrum I carried on and decided to head home along Loch Tay. Great decision, I think there may have been a campervan convention on somewhere, absolute torture of a drive home.

litljortindan wrote:Very nice and sounds like you managed to evade the midges.

Hi litljortindan - no midgies, no flies and no clegs - I'm still in shock!

denfinella wrote:Very nice - and I can be sure of that because we did the same route, but about two hours behind you! The shade on the way up, and the unexpected breeze for most of the rest of the route was extremely welcome.

As for your paltry 28°C on the car... ours read (an obviously incorrect) 38°C when we returned :shock:

One of my favourite hill days to date.

Hi denfinella - after reading your posts about midgies, clegs etc I would have gone somewhere else if I knew you were doing these two on the same day :lol: :lol: Had it been 38 I would have collapsed in to one of the pools after the Lost Valley and refused to get out....... Sounds like you enjoyed your day as much as I did.

jayedubya73 wrote:Loved reading your report. I did this walk 2-3 weeks ago on a very similar day. It was one of my favourite walks, an epic route. Thank you for sharing!

No probs - as you say, an epic route.

Graeme D wrote:Excellent stuff Gordie and on a day that was probably hot enough to melt your boots! Glad you mentuioned the poast walk rehydration routine - very important that! I did these two years ago and have no photos or TR for them so as I slowly but surely approach the latter stages of the Munro journey, I will one day soon return to them to put that right!

Hi Graeme - glad to hear you also appreciate the importance of rehydration!
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland