walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Drizzle on the Lomond Hills

Drizzle on the Lomond Hills

Postby thepigguy » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:15 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: East Lomond

Date walked: 05/07/2021

Time taken: 1.5 hours

Distance: 3.8 km

Ascent: 177m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

What I did on my holidays - part 5

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A sore knee and family stuff to do kept me away from the hills for a few days and by the time I had the time to myself and felt up to it, it was hammering down with rain in Edinburgh to the point that several businesses in the city were flooded out.

I had to pick up my wife from the airport at 3pm, and had half decided to just wait in the city until then, but the view from Leith over to Fife held some promise so I jumped in the car and set off over the bridge.

I arrived at Craigmead thinking I could probably get over to West Lomond and back and still have plenty of time to get to the airport, but the weather had caught up with me by then and there was persistent rain and plenty of cloud over the hills.

I sat in the car and sulked for a bit before deciding I couldn't leave empty handed. On went the waterproofs and I headed off up the well-worn path to East Lomond, a pleasant 40-minute walk taking me to the top where the rain had eased off, but the cloud was right down. I chatted to another walker (the first person I had seen on the hills since coming south) for ten minutes then walked back the way I had come.

eastlomond1.jpg
Damp Craigmead car park

eastlomond2.jpg
The start of the path to East Lomond

eastlomond3.jpg
Heading towards cloudy East Lomond

eastlomond4.jpg
Looking back to Bishop Hill and West Lomond

eastlomond5.jpg
About the best view of East Lomond I had while I was there

eastlomond6.jpg
The path up. The tiniest bit scrambly and this hill would be a grand one to start kids off.

eastlomond8.jpg
The completely redundant toposcope on East Lomond
Last edited by thepigguy on Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thepigguy
Walker

Munros:3   Corbetts:5
Fionas:10   Donalds:27+11
Sub 2000:68   Hewitts:5
Islands:24

Re: Drizzle on the Lomond Hills

Postby Sgurr » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:00 pm

I have climbed this umpteen times from all directions, and have managed to find a worse day than yours when the wind was trying to flatten me at the summit. Anyway, another in the bag for you. Better luck with the West Lomond next time (best route to the top in my opinion is from the Gateshead direction via the Bunnetstane).
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Re: Drizzle on the Lomond Hills

Postby thepigguy » Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:39 pm

Sgurr wrote:I have climbed this umpteen times from all directions, and have managed to find a worse day than yours when the wind was trying to flatten me at the summit. Anyway, another in the bag for you. Better luck with the West Lomond next time (best route to the top in my opinion is from the Gateshead direction via the Bunnetstane).

It looks very much as if East Lomond and Falkland are worth revisiting on a better day, so I shall be. For my next trip south I'm looking at a bus outing, walking from Scotlandswell or Gateside and taking in West Lomond and Bishop Hill, maybe East Lomond too.
thepigguy
Walker

Munros:3   Corbetts:5
Fionas:10   Donalds:27+11
Sub 2000:68   Hewitts:5
Islands:24

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland