walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Last island Munro bagged at last in WX=Scorchio

Last island Munro bagged at last in WX=Scorchio

Postby Lipeshends » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:34 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben More (Mull)

Date walked: 21/07/2021

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 966m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

More2.jpg
Like a Roger Dean album cover - Rhum floats like castles in the air......
Not far from the hottest day I have ever climbed a hill; this day had 28 degrees C in Oban and on the completely exposed walk up Ben More felt like March or Die. I was humming Le Boudin and marching a Legion Etrangere beat or slower much of the way. Having turned the fat bastard curve into reverse and lost 15kg or so I was encouraged to believe I would find this mountain well within my ability, however: The heat was hot, and the ground was dry
But the air was full of sound......

The sound was imperceptible but it was the silent approach of clegs. 12-15 itchy red weals attest to those that got through and twice as many swatted before settling or squished in the attempt. They were worse at the few patches where the water table was not underground and in normal weather would be swampy bits. They were even all over me as I waited with motorbike days later at the Craignure ferry! Leathers and long pants helped but super hot there too.....

The path is obvious and one is advised to keep the mountain profile, already glimpsed, in mind so one is not fooled by the false summits into the belief you are nearly there. Go by time. They reckon 5.0 to 6.5 hours round trip and I was hoping for 3.0 to the top. We managed 3:12 and I am chuffed enough with that despite nearby fit people braying to each other that they'd taken 2:30. Hot doesn't begin to describe it. Baldy bits and knees covered in factor 30, still allowed calves to glow bright red. I had plenty of fluids and had at least a litre left at the top. It was not dehydration the danger but actual heat stroke. I've had it before and know the symptoms including stiff neck and nausea. We were twenty minutes on the top and I spent ten of those lying down before scoffing grapes, nectarines and a smoked salmon sarnie (salty = good) and recovered a bit.

It's a long descent before regaining the main stream where, on this day, many were swimming or splashing about. I just filled water bottles and poured directly over my head, on my shirt and in my cap before wearing it for a time. This worked but did wear off and required a repeat lower down still.

In cooler weather this would be a fine strenuous yomp with no route finding difficulties and a fine ridge with grand view west into steep corries and to islands in all directions and a full prominence ascent of 966m. For me the last island Munro to bag was quite elusive. Ferry or weather issues have thwarted earlier intent but this time despite the roasting, my pal Ivor and me got 'er done.

More.jpg
View Southwest from summit
Lipeshends
Mountain Walker

Munros:160   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland