walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

mist opportunity to watch the sunrise from the sharp point

mist opportunity to watch the sunrise from the sharp point

Postby litljortindan » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:33 pm

Route description: Ben Rinnes ascent

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Rinnes

Date walked: 23/07/2021

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 7.5 km

Ascent: 541m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The Convals poking above the low cloud.

Not sure who this is.

Looking in the opposite direction at a small gap in the mist.

Mist doing interesting things.

Must be nice on Tap o' Noth too.

View south east.

Mists lapping the Rinnes / Meikle Conval bealach.

This struck me as rather unusual -some sort of hill climbing hover fly.

Corryhabbie.

The mighty shadow of Little Conval.

Tap o' Noth again.

Little Conval again.

I've climbed a lot of hills multiple times and for each hill there must be a best day or morning or evening I've had there. I'd be pleasantly surprised if that wasn't the finest morning I'll ever get on Ben Rinnes. Three years ago I changed my plans to travel to the west coast because of the frustration of driving slowly through the mist and I ended up going where the weather was so clearly pointing (Fourman Hill). Same again today except it was a planned change of plan last night because I could see from the forecast that the fog might stretch all the way along the Moray coast. That's exactly how it turned out so I was pleased I'd made the switch from Wyvis to Rinnes, especially with the glorious sunrise and inversion thrown in.
I;d heard on the radio that the thinking behind David Hockney's photo montages is to convey a sense of time passing i.e. the montage of individual images makes you register each and that each took a finite time to conceive and produce so that the whole takes you one a journey through three dimensions and through time. Maybe not quite the same thing but I am quite fascinated by taking multiple photos of the same scene at slightly different times and angles, especially in the golden hour around sunrise or sunset. Not with any intention of trying to convey a sense of the passage of time, just because I know in the scene slowly flowing before me there will be particularly special instants where the shadow and sunlight are at their absolute best but the moment dissolves as quickly as it arises. So I keep clicking! That does present the dilemma though of whether to take photos and video or whether to just relax and savour the moment. I try to do a bit of both but the photos and video do allow you to relive things later on I find.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland